Cats vs Dogs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am a cat person. I think cats are affectionate and smart. I think the problem with cats being harmed is that they are too trusting. Not like dogs that do whatever you tell them, but trusting in the sense that they do not believe that someone would harm them.

My cat is 18 years old. I have had her since she was 4 weeks old.

TOM

I have had both dogs and cats (as well as a wide variety of other pets) my entire life. I can honestly say I love both equally, for different reasons.

As far as intelligence, IMO it depends on the individual critter. I currently own (or am owned by) a feral cat whom I rescued at about 6 months of age. She is incredibly smart and has a wider range of vocabulary than any other feline I've ever encountered. We have entire conversations where we talk back-and-forth to each other about whatever (no, I'm not losing my mind, I've had other SANE people witness this).

Tienuts has a cynical view of dogs, but I have to respect the experience of a professional dog handler. The question is, can animals like dogs exhibit altruistic behavior --- that is, do something for a noble cause, like defend its owner, even if it yields negative reinforcement? Or, as mark twain argued in his essay What is Man, do we all, humans and animals included, only do what pleases us? Twain would argue that Mother Teresa did good works only because that's what pleased her, she got more reward for that than she would have leading a less austere life. It's hard to believe someone would throw themselves on a grenade for selfish reasons, but Twain argues that, for some, life as a coward is more painful than death. He says even heroes still seek the path that suits their own needs best. I don't agree with that, but there it is.

Biologists still argue over evolutionary theory permits altruistic behavior. Can an animal routinely sacrifice its self-interest for an abstract cause and still evolve? Biology is based on self-serving behavior, there seems no room for altruism, idealism or mercy in the animal world. Thus, Tienuts view that dogs get no satisfaction from finding a live human, they only want a treat may be right. I have a Golden retriever and they seem to want to please their owners, but maybe they just want a reward too.

I've both cat's & dogs. On the heels of a super Black Lab that we had put down after 13 years....We stilll have the cat, "Killer". He has taken over Maverick's place and rules the house.

Both animals are so cool...I really don't have a prefererance....Cat's got his way, dog has his. You luv them both

I like almost any kind of animal and currently have two cats and a dog in my home. The cats certainly have personality but I don't think when it comes to smarts they can compare to my Golden retreiver.
My son named him..... Captain Jack Sparrow, just Jack to his friends and family though.
Here he is, frolicking on a beautiful July day in Canada:wink:
570535_41_full.jpg

Dave

shakeybrainsurgeon:
Tienuts view that dogs get no satisfaction from finding a live human, they only want a treat may be right. I have a Golden retriever and they seem to want to please their owners, but maybe they just want a reward too.

I have to agree with you here. My golden is one of the family and he most certainly wants to be "one of the boys" He has always reacted better to praise and affection than anything else and he is more eager to meet people than anything else.

Dave

shakeybrainsurgeon:
When I was a neurosurgical resident, one of my colleagues was doing vision experiments with cats (PETA close your eyes) that involved removing most of their brains except for the vision and motor centers. The cats had no frontal lobes or temporal lobes... when the animals healed and the experiments done with, the animals were given away as pets. The owners couldn't tell them from regular cats!:confused:

:no Why would anyone want to turn a cat into a dog?!?! :confused: :D

shakeybrainsurgeon:
For those who think cats are smart, please point me to the nearest seeing-eye cat, or to the nearest drug-sniffing cat, or to some person saved in the alps by a rescue cat. Thye are pretty, affectionate at times and clean. But stupid. Who stands with me or against me in this debate? Cats or dogs?
This has got to be the most ridiculous argument against the intelligence of cats that I have ever read. Obviously written by someone without the slightest understanding about the nature and character of felines. It is as ludicrous as asking why there aren't any drug sniffing dolphins, rescue chimps or seeing eye pigs.

shakeybrainsurgeon:
Tienuts has a cynical view of dogs,
I have a cynical view of everything. I love dogs though - my avatar is of my dog - who I found dirty, homeless and malnourished on the side of the highway by the way.

My post was in response to someone saying that dogs were smarter than cats because they can be used as work dogs. I think dogs and cats are very intelligent. But just because an animal is a work dog, doesn't mean it's smarter than another type of animal.

One of the K9's I formerly worked with was a search and recovery dog - a bloodhound. It was by far the dumbest dog I have ever met, but it could track anyone for miles.

My rambling point? I love dogs. I Love cats. I have both. They are all smart. I just think some people confuse affection and desire for something an animal has been trained and conditioned to do. Enough of this. Lets talk about diving. Tienuts - out.

shakeybrainsurgeon,

Loved your posts! Where were you when I needed you in the Pit Bull thread? I believe breeding determines so much and the companion aspect of dogs fascinates me.

I am a bit phobic about cats. My baby sister was holding one that decided to pop out its claws suddenly and spring off her face. She had quite a nasty slice. The few times I have had a cat in my lap, they start that claws coming out thing they do where they rock on you with those daggers. They creep me out.

Funny thing, I don't kick them or anything like that...I just totally ignore them. They sense this, and out of a room full of cat lovers, ALWAYS jump in my lap and start doing that thing I despise. Oh...and they flip their tails slowly under my nose. Everywhere I go, cats try and taunt me. Obnoxious. Kitty litter smell? makes me wretch when I walk into a house.
Oh...the truth is coming out.

AND, in my neighborhood, OF COURSE, the DOGs cannot walk freely, but the CATS?...they come over to my house and walk all over my cars, with those grubby little paws. They know that I hate them...and that is why they do it. My dog thinks it is unjust also and sometimes I let him go so that he can try and catch one. They need to stay out of my plants. Ever see a cat owner with a plastic bag? Of course not. I have a wrist rocket, if you know what that is.

And the ferral cats get fed by all the crazies at night. They all meet at the parks at dark with tuna and such and the parks are hellish places FILLED with deranged cats everywhere you look.

I had no problems with the cats in Anatomy lab.

I know a lot of women who whisper about eligible bachelors "he has a cat, you know"... They never say that if he has a dog...so it is not just me.

Andy, don't hate me.

Back
Top Bottom