Catalina right now...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey Sharkman,
I will be there on the 27th also, doing a little bugg grabbing. (try anyway) I won't be on the Island though, I'll be on a boat. No need to cancel plans.

You have to have poor vis. to appreciate the good!

vis,
we don't got no stinkin vis,
we don't need no stinkin vis!

Hey you shoulf spend some time in real poor vis so that you can enjoy just how good 10 feet is.
Most of my diving good vis means that I can see something.
Great vis means that I can see it before I can touch it.

There is plenty of stuff to look at close up to have a great dive even if the vis is *only* 10 feet.

We did find a number of nudibranchs clinging to a wall at Bird Rock...would we have noticed the little things in better conditions? Maybe not.

If visibility is still poor, I will be sure to hit bird rock and look for the nudibranch.

Great Perspective KelpMermaid!

ok, ok, whats the absolute latest word on the viz over at Catalina ? ;-)

Gotta decide in the next couple of hours if I'll be making the trek out there.

Thanks!

Been on the mainland for a week so no feel about vis. You coulkd call CDS or ScubaLuv and ask them. My buddy Andrea and I head back over tomorrow so she can dive with me for the weekend.

Dr. Bill

Wow, I'm hearing that the vis really stinks right now... Figures, I just got the time off for my trip on the 27th....
:guitar:

My buddy Andrea and I just did two long dives in the Park. Conditions haven't changed- still 10-12 in the shallows with slightly better (15-25) at depth. It was her first dive here since she left the island in late June. We had fun (always do diving together) but had hoped for better conditions.

Dr. Bill

I was out at Catalina today, Arrow Point was around 20-25' viz once you were below 35' (and it was a balmy 58 degrees at that depth). At shallower depths, it was probaly only 10'.

Parson's Landing was only around 10'.

I just got back from living on Catalina for 4 months. Majority of the summer the vis was good. The last couple weeks its has been OK. The cool thing about Catalina, you can always find some part of the island that has good vis. When the report says the vis is bad, I would probally work my way over to the "I" near bird or ship rock, getting into some deeper dives near the West End. Last week, I dove the whole week on the back side of the island and had great VIS. There is always good vis somewhere, you just got to find it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom