Catalina Compact Series Al tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dannobee:
If the neutral 80's 3300 psi fill presents a potential problem, the HP80 or HP100's 3500 psi rating would REALLY be a problem.

Really no worse, we're talking about a small pressure difference in a perfect fill (3300/3442) and filled gently the thin walled steel will disipate heat better than the heavy aluminum cylinder which becomes a heat battery.

More to my point, the intricacies of a +3000 fill are worthwhile to dive a HP steel. There's no real payback for filling the neutral 80 perfectly.

Pete

My daughter absolutely loves the neutral 80, and it's not like there's a shortage of steel tanks in my garage. I bought her a couple of PST E7-80's and she still lugs that short cat out to the truck. One (maybe the only one) of the benefits of the AL tank over steel is that if your fills are "wet" the AL tanks won't rust inside like the steel tanks.

Some dive boats have compressors which won't pump to 3000, much less 3300-3500. If that is a possibility, you might be better served with a 3000psi tank.

I just weighed the C80, S80, and Luxfer 80's from the garage (full tanks). 41.6, 39.0, 39.6, respectively. Even though the C80 weighs 2lbs more, you could take 4-5 lbs off of your belt, if that interests you (for the walk down to the divesite).

Thanks for all the info guys. Interestingly, I visited my LDS here and they said the Luxfer tanks for Australia have a 80/95 capacity at 3000 and 3500 PSI respectively. They've also got buoyancy characteristics similar to the compact cats. Any experience there?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom