Casa Mexicana Opinions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

1KWIK_69

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
We decided to stay somewhere different this trip and booked for Casa Mexicana 4/10-4/17. It gets great reviews on Orbitz and Trip Advisor other than it having a tiny pool, which doesn't bother me a bit. Can anyone tell us a little about the place? How's the dive pier setup? Do they charge a daily usage fee, and if so, how much? How are the rooms?

Stayed there awhile back. Rooms are nice, water is purified from the faucet, they had the most comfy beds I've found on the island. Never upgraded to the waterfront rooms, but if you do I understand trying to get a high floor is best for both the view & the noise from the street. Courtyard rooms you hear the breakfast buffet setting up early, but since we were getting up early to dive, it was no big deal. Breakfast buffet was always good. Big drawback is the pool really isn't a pool, it's enough to get your feet wet, but that's about it. The hotel does not have a pier, but the Aqua Safari pier is close. Don't know if they charge a fee if you're diving with another op, but I'm sure someone around here does! If you like to be close to all the downtown action, CM is a great hotel to stay at.

Stayed there awhile back. Rooms are nice, water is purified from the faucet, they had the most comfy beds I've found on the island. Never upgraded to the waterfront rooms, but if you do I understand trying to get a high floor is best for both the view & the noise from the street. Courtyard rooms you hear the breakfast buffet setting up early, but since we were getting up early to dive, it was no big deal. Breakfast buffet was always good. Big drawback is the pool really isn't a pool, it's enough to get your feet wet, but that's about it. The hotel does not have a pier, but the Aqua Safari pier is close. Don't know if they charge a fee if you're diving with another op, but I'm sure someone around here does! If you like to be close to all the downtown action, CM is a great hotel to stay at.

Thanks for the info! Was thinking about upgrading to an ocean view room. If we do, I'll keep in mind to ask for an upper floor. I wonder how much more the ocean view rooms cost?

I would imagine Aqua Safari will want payment for the use of their pier. Hopefully someone that's stayed there and used another dive operator can chime in.

Shirley will be thrilled to hear about the comfy beds! We liked staying at Villa Blanca in one of their delux rooms one time, but the bed was hard as a rock. We ended up buying a foam matress pad at Mega and we left it there when we checked out. Staying somewhere new always has her wondering how the bed will be. She has a bit of the princess and the pea complex. :shocked2:

I would imagine Aqua Safari will want payment for the use of their pier. Hopefully someone that's stayed there and used another dive operator can chime in.

I am pretty sure that Aqua Safari doesn't let other dive ops use their pier. Aldora's pier is right next door though and they will for $1/person.

I am pretty sure that Aqua Safari doesn't let other dive ops use their pier. Aldora's pier is right next door though and they will for $1/person.
Thanks! That's good to know. Scuba Mau actually offers a dive/hotel package at Casa Mexicana, so I knew they had some way to pick us up. :eyebrow:

I'll email Opal at Scuba Mau for the details.

I usually stay at colonial suites or bahia and get breakfast at casa mexicana.They really put out a nice breakfast buffet.Mau will usually pick me up in his truck around 8:00 and drive me down to the shop.

I have stayed at CM 5 times or so and love it and keep coming back for more. Will be there in May and July again. Breakfasts are the best on the Island and are included and the hotel is clean and nice with great service and the location cant be beat if you want to take advantage of all that town has to offer. I personally like the faster pace of bieng in town (Tongue in cheek - this is Coz after all and fast pace is still relaxed and easy). I love to take advantage of the square and all the amazing restaurants that make up Coz

There is no pier to speak of but the Aldora pier - which as I understand it is not owned by Aldora and is a communal pier, is 200 feet away and is where dive ops will pick you up and is a 60 second walk from the hotel. A couple of dive ops will pick you up from there and in the past have used a couple that did pick up from there but over the last two years have used Scuba Mau and although as a general rule they dont pick up from there it is amazingly easy to get a $6 cab to Scuba Mau's pier (which is also a great place to hang out for lunch or dinner - try La Hach - amazing food). When you take into account Opals great pricing and service it is totally worth the minor extra effort of catching a cab to their pier each morning.

Craig

I have stayed at CM 5 times or so and love it and keep coming back for more. Will be there in May and July again. Breakfasts are the best on the Island and are included and the hotel is clean and nice with great service and the location cant be beat if you want to take advantage of all that town has to offer. I personally like the faster pace of bieng in town (Tongue in cheek - this is Coz after all and fast pace is still relaxed and easy). I love to take advantage of the square and all the amazing restaurants that make up Coz

There is no pier to speak of but the Aldora pier - which as I understand it is not owned by Aldora and is a communal pier, is 200 feet away and is where dive ops will pick you up and is a 60 second walk from the hotel. A couple of dive ops will pick you up from there and in the past have used a couple that did pick up from there but over the last two years have used Scuba Mau and although as a general rule they dont pick up from there it is amazingly easy to get a $6 cab to Scuba Mau's pier (which is also a great place to hang out for lunch or dinner - try La Hach - amazing food). When you take into account Opals great pricing and service it is totally worth the minor extra effort of catching a cab to their pier each morning.

Craig
Thanks for the pier info. I'm pretty familliar with the restaurants around the island. I've been there quite a few times myself. I'm also familiar with the pier across from Scuba Mau. We've stayed at Villa Blanca and dived with Papa Hogs before, so we know the area. I like the fact that even though there's not much to see since Hurricane Wilma, we can still do unlimited shore diving from the pier to Blue Angel and back. Guess we'll have to make arrangements for transportation for our dives. We're planning to rent a VW for a few days while we're there anyway.

K69,

You do realize your staying right in the city with retail shops all around you? Nothing wrong with that just be aware it will be busy during the day. I like to stay right in town when going solo many options just a few blocks away.

I see last time you stayed at Villablanca. I'll be staying there first part of April how did you like Villablanca? Why the change to Casa Mexicana?

Have a great trip
Mmtndiver

i stay at casa mx often and like it, especially the breakfast. it is a 5 min walk to aldora pier which is used by many ops. easy walk to many fine resaurants.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom