Casa Mexicana Breakfast Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

“Full buffet but, “They serve you”…now I’m confused again😳

I took it to mean you point to it and they put it on the plate at the buffet counter. I presume at any portion size you want. One sausage, two sausage, three sausage, four? And you can go through the line again?

Thanks -- now that they are serving at the buffet, is there still a long line/wait to get breakfast, or is it moving fairly quickly now? Wondering if we can show up at 7 and get breakfast (and have time to eat it) before we need to leave at 7:30 to go diving.
Following up on my prior post, does anyone know if there are still long lines until about 7:15 (as stated in this prior post and the few after it), or if it is running faster now?

Following up on my prior post, does anyone know if there are still long lines until about 7:15 (as stated in this prior post and the few after it), or if it is running faster now?
Hi folks! I will be in Coz this upcoming March 22-April 3, staying at Casa Mexicana. Just wondering what the breakfast format/lineup times are like in the morning. Any changes since these issues were last addressed in January?

Thank you for any updates!

When I was there mid-January we got there right at 7 most mornings and there was a slight line. At the time, I'd say they were understaffed on the buffet, since the person serving the hot food was also the person cooking the eggs/omelets, so that was a bit of a bottleneck. We were still able to gulp it down and get to Tres Pelicanos' shop by around 7:45. Not sure what has changed since then, if anything.

Hi folks! I will be in Coz this upcoming March 22-April 3, staying at Casa Mexicana. Just wondering what the breakfast format/lineup times are like in the morning. Any changes since these issues were last addressed in January?

Thank you for any updates!
My group just got back on March 3 (5 days ago). We were there for 10 days. No problem with breakfast. I was there when it opened every morning, although I didn't have to be, and the most I saw in line at 7am were maybe 4 folks. The pancake/egg cook had her procedures down very well so she could cook for 2 -3 people at a time so there was no backup. Later on, around 7:45-8:00 it got more crowded (5-7 people in line), but nothing serious. Seems to be running smoothly.

My group just got back on March 3 (5 days ago). We were there for 10 days. No problem with breakfast. I was there when it opened every morning, although I didn't have to be, and the most I saw in line at 7am were maybe 4 folks. The pancake/egg cook had her procedures down very well so she could cook for 2 -3 people at a time so there was no backup. Later on, around 7:45-8:00 it got more crowded (5-7 people in line), but nothing serious. Seems to be running smoothly.
Do you order off a menu the night before or point to what items you want and they bring it to your table?
And do you know if Vicente and Gustavo are working in the breakfast area?

Do you order off a menu the night before or point to what items you want and they bring it to your table?
And do you know if Vicente and Gustavo are working in the breakfast area?
I did not see any evidence of people having ordered the previous night, but I wasn't paying any attention to that. The buffet line is set up on the mezzanine as pre-2020, but there are glass screens over the pre-made food. You pick out what you you want and a server dishes it out. Same thing for the fruit bar at the end of the line. In the middle is the egg, pancake and waffle cooker: she cooks what you order while you wait.

I think Vicente has assumed the role of breakfast manager--among many other roles--as Jamie used to do. However, Cynthia is really the dominatrix of dining. She checks your temperature and room number when you come up the stairs and guides you to a table, pours coffee and gets stuff for you. She is great.

My wife, who knows all the names of people, says Gustavo is the tall guy who functions as a bag porter and greeter. Whatever his name, he doesn't participate in the breakfast activities. Pre-covid, there was another short, round guy like Vincente who played a big general purpose role, including breakfast. I thought he was Gustavo, but my wife disagrees. Previously, I got by referring to Vincente and the other guy as Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum (not to their faces). They both are great guys and were very helpful like the rest of the staff. Anyway, whatever his name is, the non-Vincente Tweedle has been gone for at least a year.

A new addition is the bartender, a nice young guy who speaks no English but makes a mean traditional margarita. Anything else requires your best sign language and pointing. It took me about 5 minutes to work through ordering two gin and tonics. They were comparatively expensive, but really strong.

Final note: Anything I say about how well the breakfast worked has to be caveated by the fact that the hotel was not very crowded. We made our reservations to coincide with Carnival, which usually packs the hotel and brings in as many Mexicans as non-native guests. It looked like they got a lot of cancellations when Carnival was put off to some future date.

I did not see any evidence of people having ordered the previous night, but I wasn't paying any attention to that. The buffet line is set up on the mezzanine as pre-2020, but there are glass screens over the pre-made food. You pick out what you you want and a server dishes it out. Same thing for the fruit bar at the end of the line. In the middle is the egg, pancake and waffle cooker: she cooks what you order while you wait.

I think Vicente has assumed the role of breakfast manager--among many other roles--as Jamie used to do. However, Cynthia is really the dominatrix of dining. She checks your temperature and room number when you come up the stairs and guides you to a table, pours coffee and gets stuff for you. She is great.

My wife, who knows all the names of people, says Gustavo is the tall guy who functions as a bag porter and greeter. Whatever his name, he doesn't participate in the breakfast activities. Pre-covid, there was another short, round guy like Vincente who played a big general purpose role, including breakfast. I thought he was Gustavo, but my wife disagrees. Previously, I got by referring to Vincente and the other guy as Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum (not to their faces). They both are great guys and were very helpful like the rest of the staff. Anyway, whatever his name is, the non-Vincente Tweedle has been gone for at least a year.

A new addition is the bartender, a nice young guy who speaks no English but makes a mean traditional margarita. Anything else requires your best sign language and pointing. It took me about 5 minutes to work through ordering two gin and tonics. They were comparatively expensive, but really strong.

Final note: Anything I say about how well the breakfast worked has to be caveated by the fact that the hotel was not very crowded. We made our reservations to coincide with Carnival, which usually packs the hotel and brings in as many Mexicans as non-native guests. It looked like they got a lot of cancellations when Carnival was put off to some future date.
Thanks for the update, my friends usually eat early and my wife around 9-10am.
I believe the other gentleman name was Jimie who unfortunately passed away about a year ago from COVID.
He was really a good guy always enjoyed talking with him.
Well glad to hear we can point to the items we would like then have a pancake or omelete prepared.
Are the tables by reservation now? Or just have Cynthia seat you?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom