Carrying Nautilus on plane

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

briankinley2004

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Has anyone carried one of these things on the plane and is it allowed? I am traveling to Cozumel in two weeks and just got mine in the mail. I can see where a security screener would be suspicious of it until they are more popular. I can just check it but hate to do so with a valuable electronic item.

I travel with my TomTom GPS in my carryon all the time with no issues, but that is within U.S. borders. Remember the place you are going grabs batteries from carryon so Who knows what they would allow or not allow. I would put my Nautilus in my checked baggage.

I have carried mine in my checked bag and carry on. No problems so far..

Are you worried about the safety of flying with the batteries? Or using in on the plane? Or, are you asking about the legalities of bringing in a radio transmitter without proper licensing. Remember that the discussion on legalities of this use were considering the FCC (USA Gov't) and USCG (also USA Gov't). And those conclusions were based on conjecture and consensus, not a ruling from the FCC. Each country has it's own requirements for importing and operating a radio transmitter under their geographic jurisdiction.

I often fly with a handheld VHF in my carryon and have never had a problem with it. The one exception was when I had a brief stopover in Cuba several years ago. The security guys who checked our bags as we came IN TO the terminal gave it a pretty good lookover and I had to explain what it was. I suspect that they were well aware of what it was, and were just looking for an excuse to pocket it. It was a high-end Standard Horizon vhf and probably they didn't have access to such things there.

Just did another flight international and had it in my carry on. Went through the scanner and all they did is look at it and ask what it was. Told them it was an emergency dive radio and they moved me on......

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom