Carrying case for Oly 5050

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

brycew

Reaction score
Just bought an Olympus 5050 and will be buying the PT-015 housing for it shortly. I was wondering if there were recommondations for a specific case that would work well for carrying it both in and out of the underwater housing.

Thanks in advance!

brycew:
Just bought an Olympus 5050 and will be buying the PT-015 housing for it shortly. I was wondering if there were recommondations for a specific case that would work well for carrying it both in and out of the underwater housing.

Thanks in advance!

Do you mean something to carry just the camera in? I use a Tamrac camera bag that can be worn around your waist. For the camera and housing both, I usualy pack it in a backpack.

Dee,
When you travel on a plane do you keep them in anything special? Any padding or hard case? Do you keep them with you or in your luggage? I hav'nt taken my pt-015 any where yet but I will be going to Grand Cayman at the end of the month and I want to keep it in good shape.
Thank You

Sibhod:
Dee,
When you travel on a plane do you keep them in anything special? Any padding or hard case? Do you keep them with you or in your luggage? I hav'nt taken my pt-015 any where yet but I will be going to Grand Cayman at the end of the month and I want to keep it in good shape.
Thank You

I use a LowePro microtrekker backpack bag. Got it on eBay for about $50.
TEdJ

I use a Lowepro Trim Trekker. It's small but I can get everything in it. I especially like the pullout drawer section on the bottom. When I started carrying my laptop I bought a different backpack with a built-in section for it but it was so big and really heavy. So heavy I couldn't pass the carry-on weight limits and had to pack the strobe, tray and arms in my checked luggage.

So I've gone back to the Trim Trekker where I can have all my photo gear in one place. I'll just carry my laptop in it's small case seperately.

Sibhod,
I'll toss in my two cents on using an inexpensive six pack size soft beverage cooler. You can get the camera (in the housing) in it along with extra batteries, O-ring, grease etc. Toss in a small hand towel for extra padding and other uses. It will come in very handy on dive boats and/or shore dives when you go to Grand Cayman as it insulates the camera from the heat of the day, and as Dee always adds for me, it can double as your own personal rinse tank if need be.

I usually pak a collapsable cooler like Gilligan uses for use on dive boats but I don't pack my gear in it for traveling. For one, I prefer not to hand carry more than I have to on a plane. I can't get all my stuff in it as mine is just big enough to rinse my housing and strobe. Plus, if the counter staff get pissy about it they can make you check your carry-on. I wouldn't want my camera rig going through baggage in only a collapsable cooler.

I've been using one of those soft insulated lunchpails with a section on top for a can of coke. The camera w/o the housing fits neatly in that section for quick retrieval and the bottom holds the housing just right. There's a front zipped section that holds the remote control, batteries, and a spare CF card. The one I found has a velcro-ed plastic liner for the main cavity and lots of pockets. It was great using it on a trip when the first half was on dry land and the second half in the water. Best thing about it was only $14.00. I can email a picture if anyone is interested.

Beep beep

TedJ:
I use a LowePro microtrekker backpack bag. Got it on eBay for about $50.
TEdJ

I also bought my wife the miniTrekker (Lowepro). Best Buy @ $69.
It works quite well configured to hold all her stuff. She has a 5050, PT-015, 3 sets of NiMH batteries and 2 chargers, cleaning accessories, and all stock camera accessories (like cabels, etc.) with a small amount of room to spare. If anyone wants a pix of this, I'll post.

Now she needs to join the group and learn to use it all!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom