Carry On Only

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I keep my gloves, defog, mask, and snorkel in an unstructured cloth purse. Keeps it from getting scratched and I have packed it a bunch of times. Having it out separately is also a good reminder to apply defog first.

what 2airishuman said. Chcek the overhead capacity on all the planes you'll be traveling on, not just the oveseas flight.

I usually just stuff my mask in a two socks. Or I also have a small drawstring padded lens bag that I use for dive computer, phone etc. I bought a padded camera bag that tightly fits my video housing which I will deploy as my personal item next trip - freeing up carry-on room.

I also pack my regs loose around my clothes. I could get a full set of gear in a US legal-sized carry-on by buying a traveld BCD like the Covert or Zuma but the restrictions likely will be different on some of your flights - I think the weight is lower - which you might get away with if only you handle your bag.

I'd also pack anything important like passports, meds, fragile camera stuff etc. in a small "grab and go bag" When you're standing in line at the gate is not the time to realize you're going to have to check your carry-on since the bins are all full.

It happened to me once unexpectedly - just going through the aircraft door when they ran out of overhead space. The flight attendant took my bag. There was $5000 worth of video gear plus regs in that bag.. Worse - my passport was still in the pocket. I was worried the whole flightthat it made it. Not fun to be stuck in a strange country with no passport. Now it stays in a pouch around my neck.

I think some of the Force Fins are short enough to fit a standard carry-on. I have big fins and an XL BCD so always have to check a bag.

You might also measure your carry-on if it's hard sided - IIRC some of the airlines reduced the max size by a couple inches a few years ago. Unless you pay extra.

I check everything but regulator and computer, those i carry on. Obviously do not bring weights or tanks.....BUT i did carry on 2 - 1lb shot bags last trip and naturally they look suspicious in the x-ray so had to prove otherwise. My total weight for checked is 24lb with my gear, not to bad

BUT i did carry on 2 - 1lb shot bags last trip and naturally they look suspicious in the x-ray so had to prove otherwise
That happened to me once in Mexico.I carried on my 3/8 lead shot bags and got stopped. The officer looked at the x-ray and said Bullets? When I said dive weights he just waved me through.

That happened to me once in Mexico.I carried on my 3/8 lead shot bags and got stopped. The officer looked at the x-ray and said Bullets? When I said dive weights he just waved me through.

One of those things you really do not think about...!

DGX sells mesh drawstring bags that are perfect for masks.

I clip my fins to the outside of my backpack with a carabiner. Never had an issue. In fact last time I had fins, mask and a two fly rods all clipped to the outside of my backpack. No problems.
In Europe many airlines will try to make you fit the whole package is the luggage measurement tool

Having worked in the airport bag room and loading/unloading bags in the airplane's belly I have to tell you you're a lucky man.
I carried it on. Wouldn't bag check anything that way.

Leave the mask boxes at home.
I put my mask and a back-up in my fins' foot pockets.

K

In Europe many airlines will try to make you fit the whole package is the luggage measurement tool
As someone living in Europe, that's the reason I pull the stuff I can wear out of my bag before going through the checks and putting it on, afterwards I can just pack them back down.
Never seen anyone have their carry on measured or weighed when entering the plane.

Back
Top Bottom