Carry On for Scuba Gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A regulator bag can usually pass as a "personal item" on airlines that allow one carry-on plus one personal item. So I bring a backpack plus a regulator bag.

+4 for the Dive Caddy. It may get a little heavy packing it around an airport but it is worth knowing all my gear is going with me, I know where it is.

Agree, it can get little heavy lugging it around. I'm looking at one of the small fold up rollers that I can somehow attach or use it with persoanal item when on plane. My other option is Duffel from 5.11 that I found on sale for 80.00, but have to check that.

I like that idea. I wish someone would do that for us Backplate and wing users

You could do that yourself with any soft sided bag. Get about 1 1/2" wide flat pieces of steel cut so they match the length of the back plate where there are already existing holes. Drill matching holes in the steel, make matching holes in the bag, bolt the steel to the back plate with the bag sandwiched in between.

You could do that yourself with any soft sided bag. Get about 1 1/2" wide flat pieces of steel cut so they match the length of the back plate where there are already existing holes. Drill matching holes in the steel, make matching holes in the bag, bolt the steel to the back plate with the bag sandwiched in between.

Ha!--when I read that post the other day and took a look at it, a light bulb went off in my head with this very idea. Yes, do the same sort of thing with a BP/W and an inexpensive soft-sided bag, like maybe a small duffel bag. I envisioned grommets, though, rather than steel strips.

I was hoping for something a bit more polished. I would rather have the plate inside the backpack with padding both outside and in, compression straps, and something to hold the fins on.

However, building on your idea, rather than cutting steel why not use a STA instead?

How about this bag?

I was hoping for something a bit more polished. I would rather have the plate inside the backpack with padding both outside and in, compression straps, and something to hold the fins on.

However, building on your idea, rather than cutting steel why not use a STA instead?

How about this bag?

The STA would just hold the bag along the centerline of the plate allowing the bag to move from side to side. Using the steel strips would hold the bag along the outer edges of the plate so it would not flop around too much. Putting the plate inside would also mean the the harness straps would be inside so you would need to add other straps and you would be taking up room on the inside. I would rather reduce the weight and increase the available space inside but I do not care what it looks like as long as it meets airline standards for a carry on bag.

---------- Post added June 9th, 2013 at 12:47 PM ----------

Ha!--when I read that post the other day and took a look at it, a light bulb went off in my head with this very idea. Yes, do the same sort of thing with a BP/W and an inexpensive soft-sided bag, like maybe a small duffel bag. I envisioned grommets, though, rather than steel strips.

Grommets would also work fine. I think strips might distribute the stress between the bag and the plate better but not enough to make a big difference.

Last edited:
We do week long dive trips a couple of times a year and carry everything, including all of our gear, on - we both have the ebags 21" motherlode rolling suitcase and the akona large snorkel bag. Our BC's (zeagle zena & zeus - fold up really small), regs, and wetsuits go in the rolling suitcase along with clothes, while fins, booties, and masks go in the snorkel bags (it serves as our one personal item). The snorkel bags are large enough to stuff a ton of swimsuits in also. If for some reason something needs to be checked, it's usually a carry on sized bag of clothes.

I found this bag on ebags, I can fit all of my gear in. 3m suit, Dimension BC, Regs, snorkel, mask, and hotshot fins. I tried several different bags and to find something that met airline requirements 22x14x9 I had to give up on the roller bag. The handle took up too much space in the bag. Th eBags eTech 2.0 Weekender Convertible - eBags.com

I found this bag on ebags, I can fit all of my gear in. 3m suit, Dimension BC, Regs, snorkel, mask, and hotshot fins. I tried several different bags and to find something that met airline requirements 22x14x9 I had to give up on the roller bag. The handle took up too much space in the bag. Th eBags eTech 2.0 Weekender Convertible - eBags.com

I plan to get the eTech weekender to carry my gear to Aruba this year. Are you still happy with it? I have the Axiom BC. Think it will fit in the bag?

Back
Top Bottom