DIR- GUE Carry 24 pounds on my waist belt?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SaltyWombat

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I dive with a Halcyon SS plate and wing and 20 lbs of lead. 2 x 5 lbs on the lower cam bands and 2 x 5 lbs in Halcyon trim pockets on the waist belt. I want to switch to an aluminum backplate, which I think is 2 lbs, so I will need to carry 24 lbs.

I'm aware of these DiveRite pockets which appear to do the trick: 32 lb QB Weight Pockets | Dive Rite

Any other thoughts on how to carry 24 lbs on the waistbelt?
I also want a D-ring on the left for my SPG and plan to get a canister light one day. Until then I'll use a hose rod.

I dive with a Halcyon SS plate and wing and 20 lbs of lead. 2 x 5 lbs on the lower cam bands and 2 x 5 lbs in Halcyon trim pockets on the waist belt. I want to switch to an aluminum backplate, which I think is 2 lbs, so I will need to carry 24 lbs.

I'm aware of these DiveRite pockets which appear to do the trick: 32 lb QB Weight Pockets | Dive Rite

Any other thoughts on how to carry 24 lbs on the waistbelt?
I also want a D-ring on the left for my SPG and plan to get a canister light one day. Until then I'll use a hose rod.

Why on the waistbelt?

In general, there are many other options besides the ones that you mentioned, and they depend on whether you dive in singles or doubles; have a look here: Weightsystems - Deepstop GmbH

But no one is the best; you need to try and find what's best for you. In the process, the most important things that you need to take into account are:
- avoid having things hanging from you (for instance, a very long belt);
- the buoyancy and the gravity centres need to be close to each other (Diver trim - Wikipedia).
Regarding the last point, are you already able to maintain any trim orientation without effort?
If yes, it means that you don't want to change your weighting distribution: add weights on your backplate or very close to it.
If not, try to go horizontal; do you tend to rotate backwards or forwards?

Now, assuming that you are switching to an aluminium plate for travelling and that your trim is good, I would find a way to attach extra weight to the BP; the most comfortable option that I can thin now is through pockets.

Why are you switching to an aluminum plate when you already need so much lead?

I’m not familiar with cold water weighting, so I can’t be of much help.

I dive in a drysuit with thick undergarments every dive. I use a backplate and 24# on my weightbelt with no problems. I've been using this combination for the past 1500 dives.

Are you using a single tank? You could get the weighted insert for the Halcyon STA, which is 6 lbs. If you're using a single tank, it sounds like your STA is currently empty. That 6 lb weight will let you take 2 lbs off your current configuration and still have the extra 4 lbs for the AL bp.

The Halcyon bp/harness kit already comes with a left hip d-ring for the spg.

If you're using an AL tank, you could use a HP steel tank and use less weight.

Do you want the AL bp for travelling, in which case if you want to travel somewhere that you'll be wearing less exposure protection, you would need less weight than your cold water configuration.
Can you tell us why you want to switch to an AL bp?

Are you trying to have most of your weight ditchable? If you wanted to have ditchable weight, you could just have a small amount ditchable, like even 2, 4 or 6 lbs. It doesn't take much.

We're assuming that you're happy with your current weighting and trim? Often if the majority of weight is near the waist/hips, a diver will be some degree of diagonal, unless you're wearing a drysuit with thick undergarments. Maybe your centre of gravity is very low.

I dive in a drysuit with thick undergarments every dive. I use a backplate and 24# on my weightbelt with no problems. I've been using this combination for the past 1500 dives.

I find that drysuits with thick undergarments are the great equalizer since they add a little buoyancy throughout the body/legs. You can definitely have more weight lower with a drysuit. People often need heavier fins with a drysuit.

With even a thick wetsuit or especially without a wetsuit, you don't have that assistance from a drysuit/undergarments to keep the legs horizontal.

The OP hasn't told us the wing or tank size, single or double tanks, exposure protection...

Why on the waistbelt?

In general, there are many other options besides the ones that you mentioned, and they depend on whether you dive in singles or doubles; have a look here: Weightsystems - Deepstop GmbH

But no one is the best; you need to try and find what's best for you. In the process, the most important things that you need to take into account are:
- avoid having things hanging from you (for instance, a very long belt);
- the buoyancy and the gravity centres need to be close to each other (Diver trim - Wikipedia).
Regarding the last point, are you already able to maintain any trim orientation without effort?
If yes, it means that you don't want to change your weighting distribution: add weights on your backplate or very close to it.
If not, try to go horizontal; do you tend to rotate backwards or forwards?

Now, assuming that you are switching to an aluminium plate for travelling and that your trim is good, I would find a way to attach extra weight to the BP; the most comfortable option that I can thin now is through pockets.

Would love to pick up some of those Backplate-Lead - Deepstop GmbH here in the states? Ideas?

Would love to pick up some of those Backplate-Lead - Deepstop GmbH here in the states? Ideas?
About once a year or so some nice v weights come up on Amazon. They are simple to make, google or search this site for v weights or p weights. For those unsure, a v weight goes between double tanks behind the plate. A p weight goes on top of the plate. Both are pretty simple to make.

Its the P weight I'm looking for. I have a V weight,

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom