Carnival?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Between 4 & 5pm, the police close Melgar (downtown) to traffic and people start moving in with their beach chairs & coolers. Participants gather in the Palacio/Chedraui area. The route is a loop -- begins at Calle 11 Sur and the water (the divided, two-way, E/W street at Margaritaville); north on Melgar to the airport blvd.; u-turn; return to the Palacio. Each night, the parade grows larger -- the biggest one is Fat Tuesday.

Thanks! We've narrowed our lodging choices to Scuba Club & Vista Del Mar and weren't sure if the parade passed in front of SCC. I know VDM will be a ringside seat.....now we just need to decide if that outweighs the all in one convenience of SCC.

Mike

Yes, you have it right -- SCC is south of the action. The only thing is, by staying directly on the malecon, you may be disturbed by the noise -- divers need their beauty sleep. Maybe you'll have to take siestas on a few days.

We are thinking about hopping down to Cozumel for Carnival in Feb. and we had a question as to where the Parades actually start. Have not been able to find that info on any of the sites.

Thanks!

Mike

Carnaval is a very popular time to go to Cozumel; I'd advise making your arrangements soon.

Thanks!

By the way Gordon.....enjoyed your bands performance on the Morning Show earlier this year...our May Scubaboarder's thread had gone away by then, so I didn't post at that time. Still have our 'Gordon Tape':D

Waiting on wife to decide where she wants to stay.....wanted to firm it up yesterday, but you know how that goes. Both hotels were available.....hopefully still on Monday. Her main concern with SCC is that it will be filled with "I am a better diver than you, and I'm going to throw it in your face" divers with big egos. I keep telling her that it doesn't appear to be the case by the posts about SCC I've read......just regular divers like the two of us.

Mike

Thanks!

By the way Gordon.....enjoyed your bands performance on the Morning Show earlier this year...our May Scubaboarder's thread had gone away by then, so I didn't post at that time. Still have our 'Gordon Tape':D

Waiting on wife to decide where she wants to stay.....wanted to firm it up yesterday, but you know how that goes. Both hotels were available.....hopefully still on Monday. Her main concern with SCC is that it will be filled with "I am a better diver than you, and I'm going to throw it in your face" divers with big egos. I keep telling her that it doesn't appear to be the case by the posts about SCC I've read......just regular divers like the two of us.

Mike

Thanks for the kind words for my band; I'd never gotten up at 5AM to play a gig before. ;^)

Over the past few years I have noticed a refreshing decline in the numbers of stroke divers on Cozumel, at least on the boats that I've been on. I've never stayed at Scuba Club, but I know lots of really nice folks from the 'Board that swear by (as opposed to "at") SCC for their service and attentiveness to the needs of their clientele. If I didn't already have a favorite place to stay (Caribe Blu), I'd sure consider SCC.

If you're leaning towards Vista del Mar, but still want convenient diving, you can use Aqua Safari, who are next door with their pier across the street. If you prefer small boat diving they have the Belinda (aka the fast boat) which holds 8 divers and is very comfortble with standing entry and easy exit via ladder. If you go that route book early, the Belinda generally sells out before their other boats and others will be pre-booking for carnival week.

Back
Top Bottom