Carnival

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Now. The sooner the better; that's a very busy time for Cozumel.

Thanks Gordon

Where would I find out the dates?
Also, is it a 'MUST' do ? What should one expect thats never been?

Thanks !

You have to be very careful when it comes to Carnaval dates, because there have been years that they changed them AFTER announcing those dates. Carnaval & Mardi Gras are supposed to run for the 5 days before Ash Wednesday which in the Catholic Church is the beginning of Lent. In Cozumel those dates can & have been altered to allow the party to take place for 5 days, but different days due to local elections. (there is a law about selling alcohol for X number of days before an election). As for what to expect, a party, parades, plenty of rubbing shoulders with the locals, many great photo ops, especially at kids events or their parade which usually starts at 4:00 PM instead of the normal 6:00 PM. The biggest & most custumed parade is the final one on Tuesday, but any of them are worth attending. You can find some old albums of different events here. (They are near the bottom of the page)
Picasa Web Albums - Larry

Thanks Gordon

Where would I find out the dates?
Also, is it a 'MUST' do ? What should one expect thats never been?

Thanks !

Here's a site where you can get the Mardi Gras dates for the next seven years:

http://www.mardigrasneworleans.com/mgdates.html

But as cicopo says, occasionally (rarely?) Cozumel observes Carnaval at a different time, like when it conflicts with an election day. It just wouldn't do to have an alcohol prohibition day during Mardi Gras, now would it? ;^)

I am almost certain that the dates were changed at least twice in just the last 5 years, and I think last year (actually this year, the 2008 event) was changed after the "official" dates were announced & posted on several sites. At least one regular member of this forum got burned by the change because his trip was locked in and he couldn't change the trip dates. The best site I know of for the dates is Cozumel Insider - Cozumel MX - Activities, Accomodations, Trip planning and so much more..., but even then it's risky booking too far in advance.

I am almost certain that the dates were changed at least twice in just the last 5 years, and I think last year (actually this year, the 2008 event) was changed after the "official" dates were announced & posted on several sites. At least one regular member of this forum got burned by the change because his trip was locked in and he couldn't change the trip dates. The best site I know of for the dates is Cozumel Insider - Cozumel MX - Activities, Accomodations, Trip planning and so much more..., but even then it's risky booking too far in advance.

You are correct that the dates for Cozumel Carnaval were different from Mardi Gras twice in the past 4 years (I couldn't find data on 2004), but both times they were changed Mardi Gras was early in February and conflicted with a Mexican election day. In 2009, Mardi Gras is on Feb 24, so in all likelihood Cozumel will celebrate Carnaval on the correct date.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom