Diving during Carnival

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gianster

Contributor
Reaction score
Thinking of coming in February during Carnival. Ive been going for over 20 years once to three times a year but never during Carnival. Do the diving logistics get affected at all? I would still want to dive everyday. Anyone enjoy the festivities every night and dive every morning for the whole week? Would love to hear your thoughts.

We did it on the Playa side.

Blue Mayans that all look like Robin Williams. Good cheap food. Wasn't a hassel. But you might want to sleep with your stereo on, a week or two before leaving.

We went during Carnival in 2020. We were staying south at Village Tan Kah so not in the hustle and bustle of centro. We wouldn't have even known it was Carnival except when we went into town. Our diving was not affected at all.

If you're staying downtown you would notice it more but the festivities are mostly at night so I doubt the day diving is affected, catching a dive boat at a pier downtown might be an issue. Not sure.

Ironman type competitions are probably more disruptive for diving because they close off Melgar for a long ways from early morning to early afternoon. We've been there for many of those and when staying in centro we might have to walk a few blocks to catch a taxi or find creative ways to get to the dive shop (Scuba Shack, for us).

You only know it is going on at night in town, totally worth participating. Fun time.

We were in Coz in Feb. 2020 staying at Casa Mexicana (right downtown). Diving was not impacted at all. We loved the grand parade with all the colourful floats! We were a group of 4--IIRC we prepaid a neighbouring restaurant employee to "hold" a curb-side table for us. I've been to Coz many dozens of times over the years; this was my 1st time being there for Carnival. The grand parade was a magical evening for us: loved seeing local families enjoying the pageantry, people of all ages, colourful costumes--a beautiful evening in lovely San Miguel.

I recall we flew home March 1st, 2020. Within weeks the world started shutting down with the onset of Covid-19.

Thanks all! I stay at the Presidente so would only go in town at night. Sounds like business as usual with the added events at night. I think I'm going to do it!

We were there the week before and didn't have anything affected. Town was nuts and a few places that are normally open on Sunday were closed for the crowing of the king and queen but otherwise business as usual. We found it more crowded than other times of year and the rates for the hotels were higher.

For Murphy’s law purposes, you might want to give whatever dive shop you are diving with a heads up that you are coming. I don’t really think Carnival diving in general is as busy as Christmas/New Years , but it might be for a particular shop.

EDIT: Did an an afternoon dive yesterday. As we headed south at 1:30 pm it felt like we were trying to go the wrong way in the Indy 500 with so many boats headed back north after morning dives down south.

Still debating gotta book tomorrow or Tuesday. I wonder how hard it would be to get a taxi in and out of centro at night. Where would be a good spot to enjoy the parades?

Have been there more than a few times during Carnaval. Other than the increased traffic downtown and your dive master and boat captain could be hungover it shouldn't be a problem.

Back
Top Bottom