Sept. 15 Independence or Nov.1 Dia del los muertos?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gianster

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi all!

Been to Coz 2-3 times a year since 2003. Never been during Mexican Independence or Dia Del Il Muertos and want to try this year. Anyone been there for both? Trying to decide which one would be better to experience at night and of coarse still diving in the AM. Thanks all!

Oh sorry I forgot Carnivale as well. Although I'm sure diving is hampered during the week? Hard to get to dive boats due to road closures? Hungover staff? I definitely want to come during one of the three this year.

We were there for Dia de los Muertos a few years back. The Central Square was a great time for listening to Music, dancing and checking out many Alters honoring their people. Lot's of costumes on Halloween Day as well.

We have been there for all 3 (more than once for Carnival and Dia) and they are very different. Dia is very low key and like the poster said the alters in the square are very interesting to see, they candy exchange with the kids is pretty cool as well. Independence Day is fun and I would not plan to dive the day after. Carnival is a blast and is a general party for weeks culminating in the 3 parades. It really depends on what you are looking for, so hard to say which was is best. I like them all for different reasons but Id have to rank Carnival, Dia and then Independence Day as my order of enjoyment.

Having done both, I prefer the El Grito Delores / Independence day celebration (actually the former dictator / president for life Porfirio Díaz’s birthday party).

A Former Mexican President Chose To Celebrate The Country's Independence On His Birthday - Zenger News

The party and fireworks at the municipal plaza, at 11pm, is a hoot. The flag raising ceremony at the downtown flag pole next to the pier, the morning morning, can be fun also. About 8 years back the 20-30 Municipal police doing the ceremony acted like they had been up all-night parting and could barely function, they forgot the hardware for attaching the flag to the big pole and that caused a 20-minute delay, you can’t make this stuff up.

Weather wise the end of October is not quite as oppressive as mid-September.

Thanks all! That does sound like a hoot. Tough decision! I want to go ASAP so it would be Independence Day/Grito week but would be worst weather wise. Carnival sounds great with a full week of celebrations, eagle ray season, BUT furthest away time wise. Might be able to swing mid Sept. and then next Feb. both for Independence and Carnival. Dia del Muertos and Carnival both might be a tough swing for me though.

I havent done Halloween, (I know right?) but I love I day. Eat at Rolandi's and then wonder over to the square to the masses of people responding to the grito and all. Awesome. And get one of the Chiles En Nogada. Fun! And there is a parade on the 16th too I believe.

We did Carnival for a bunch of years in a row. It was fun and I didnt see any problems. I mean traffic is hell during it the 3 parades Sat, Sun Tues, but that's it. We used to get beads and toys to throw to the kids. Have not done it in a few year but we are going to the next one. Taking a good friend, who is a bit of a red neck. Never had a passport. Not to sure of the foreign places.... Ill have him speaking Maya before the week is out!

Would like to do Dias de Muertos. Maybe we will do that this year? The missus did one year. Went to the Humane Society fundraiser party and enjoyed it.

I havent done Halloween, (I know right?) but I love I day. Eat at Rolandi's and then wonder over to the square to the masses of people responding to the grito and all. Awesome. And get one of the Chiles En Nogada. Fun! And there is a parade on the 16th too I believe.

We did Carnival for a bunch of years in a row. It was fun and I didnt see any problems. I mean traffic is hell during it the 3 parades Sat, Sun Tues, but that's it. We used to get beads and toys to throw to the kids. Have not done it in a few year but we are going to the next one. Taking a good friend, who is a bit of a red neck. Never had a passport. Not to sure of the foreign places.... Ill have him speaking Maya before the week is out!

Would like to do Dias de Muertos. Maybe we will do that this year? The missus did one year. Went to the Humane Society fundraiser party and enjoyed it.

Enserio? I'd figure you have been here every day of the year!! Maybe Casa Jefe is in demand during holidays jajajajaja

Maybe they will have the water and sewer work done before carnival. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom