Caribe Blu difficulties

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shaggie:
I'll be there this wendsday. Sooo looking forward to it. I think that their reservations system does need alittle work. I'm waiting for a reply back that they've received my deposit (although I did just figure out Pay Pal and send it in last night). I'm glad to hear all the good reviews on the place. My LDS told me about Caribe Blu and Blue Angel, and that was all I had to go on, until now. By the way, can anyone sugest an inexpensive place to hole up for a night in Cancun for a night, before my flight home on sunday morning?

Well just remember where you are headed Shaggie. :) It IS Mexico, not the US. Things work VERY differently down there.....(/me remembers seeing the construction workers building a house using ladders made from tree limbs!) No one gets in too big of a hurry, so sit back and relax and enjoy your stay. You are going to LOVE it!

Cenotes can be very hard. Many times you have to lug your gear and tank, up and down an incline to get to the hole. Many sites the parking area is not very close to the hole. Check with the dive operator on exactly what you will have to do before you sign with him. Also the good safety minded operators will have you go through a 2 hour briefing at the shop before departing for the hole. Make reservations early for the Cenote dive. Remember too that you have to travel to PDC and back on the ferry with you gear. A couple of $ on the PDC side to a porter to carry your gear will save energy for your dive. A Cenote dive should not be done by a pooped out diver. Bouyency is also very important on a cave dive.

I just booked with Jeannie - Caribe Blu/Blue Angel for Nov. 5-10. They were very flexible. We booked 2 morning dives each day. Jeannie says they are very flexible about adding / subtracting dives - just let them know a day in advance. We will also do at least 1 night dive. We plan to do a few shore dives as well (no advance planning required).
We have never used them before, but Jeannie has been very accessible via email - writes back within 24 hours, and gives me the info I need.

We booked on Friday, and are waiting for price/payment request, which she said would be forthcoming today (Monday) when she gets back from DEMA.

Bicster:
We booked on Friday, and are waiting for price/payment request, which she said would be forthcoming today (Monday) when she gets back from DEMA.

Shouldn't be a problem. Have fun! I'm off Sunday morning. :D

One more point in defense/explanation of the Caribe Blu operation. This is a very small place, with only 21 rooms, and not part of any chain. There are few modern amenities there (they just got phones and TV's in the rooms a few years ago), and the staff is very small. They don't get a lot of telephone traffic, so it's not cost effective for them to have a full-fledged switchboard and an English-fluent receptionist manning it 24/7, and the manager might not even be on the premises when you call. They are a little harder to get hold of and deal with than your typical Sheraton or Radisson, but that's an integral part of the hotel's charm.

I wouldn't change a thing.

diverjeff:
HERE Just my 2 cents worth - Here's a bit about my favorite dive op (having tried many)

Very nice pix! Just a small correction, though.

On this one :
Cozumel Pics North shore beach
40 photos: 14 of 40

That's the Crouching Lion at El Mirador, and it's on the southeast coast.

Cheers,

While I've not stayed at Caribe Blu (I've only been to Coz once and we rented a villa), we dived with Christi (BlueXTSea Diving) and her boat picked us up at their pier, so we were in and out of there daily for a week. One of our group was a non-diver and she made great friends with George (Jorge), who told her to feel free to use the hotel's pool and sundeck anytime while waiting for us to come back from diving and gave her lots of restaurant recommendations (which dovetailed with Christi's list and worked out quite well for us!).

If I were to head back to Coz and stay at a hotel, I'd most likely head for Caribe Blu - I've got a lot of friends who've stayed there and been very happy and if BlueXTSea weren't available, I think I'd be more than happy using Blue Angel - plus having them right on site for shore diving is a great plus as far as I'm concerned. (Even if BlueXTSea were available for morning dives, I'd use Blue Angel for shore diving in the afternoon or night dives so I could get in more dives on my own time. I like just being able to poke along and see what's around in shallow water.)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom