caribbean snorkeling - diveskin, wetsuit, or nothing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

snailman

New
Reaction score
Hello all,

I am a teacher leading a group of college students to the Caribbean for a tropical field biology course this March. I have done a lot of snorkeling and SCUBA, but in midwest ponds, lakes, and the Great Lakes.

I would like input from more experienced tropical snorkelers - would you recommend dive skins, wet suits, snorkel vests, or nothing for a group of novice snorkelers? We will be spending about 4 hours a day for 7 days over shallow patch reefs and in mangroves. My main concerns are the students getting cold, getting sunburned, getting scratched - but I also have to consider that most students will not ever snorkel again (so buying a suit is expensive, if not really necessary). Also, wetsuits are nice and bouyant - good for floating over shallow things but bad for diving down to explore. Any advice would be appreciated.... I am used to squeezing into as much rubber as I possibly can and still being cold!

Thanks!

Spending 4 hours a day in tropical water...you are going to need some protection from sun and sea. Advise a 3-2mm full or at the least a lycra skin ($40 +/-). In some places the sea lice can get pretty bad and you need as much coverage as possible. Also, a beanie would help. Boots and open heal fins because access to these places might be pretty rough on tender feet. Also, think about large hats for the sun. Don't forget the sun screen but make sure its bio-friendly.

For what it's worth,

Dave (aka "Squirt")

Where are you going? Will you have easy shore entry, or will you be using a boat? Will you have local assistance from people who know the area? These are all important considerations, especially if you personally are not familiar with the location.

Water temps are important, especially if multiple hours in the water are planned. Less than 80F will require some sort of neoprene suit. Unless you have access to weights, neoprene will keep you on the surface.

Hopefully, you will have warmer water temps, in the low 80s. In these kinds of conditions, in calm shallow water, dive skins may be all that's needed. At a minimum, though, skins are absolutely necessary. Even with skins, waterproof sunblock on the neck and ears will be needed to avoid serious problems. It should be reapplied every couple of hours to all body parts exposed to the sun. Skins will also reduce problems with jellyfish and various irritants in the water.

It is essential that students be taught to touch nothing. Aside from ecological considerations, fire corals, bristle worms, and many other attractive hazards can cause severe medical problems and acute discomfort. Bring cortisone creams, antihistamines, etc. I've guided a few groups of marine aquarist snorkeler/divers to areas in the Caribbean that I was very familiar with. It is a lot of work, and problems are inevitable. Clear rules must be set in advance. Good skins cost less than $80. Don't even think about having people snorkel in the tropics without at least that level of protection. I think you need to do a lot of careful preparation. The fact that you are not experienced with diving/snorkeling in the Caribbean is very troubling. The potential for serious problems is huge. I also think the kind of schedule you envision, with all those hours in the water, is unrealistic. Diving or snorkeling over tropical reefs with the blazing sun beating down is far more exhausting than floating around in temperate zone freshwater lakes.

From my past experience, a 2-3mm suit or less will be fine for me in March in Carribean. I dove in Coz for spring break in T-shirt and bathing suit in water which was 80s. I don't recommend this. I had some problems with jelly stings on my face and legs. I did not have a skin at the time, and have one now. If I were to do it again, I would recommend at least a skin or shortie, especially if you are cold-natured and are wanting to avoid scratches and stings. You never know what you might swim into (jellyfish tenticles, BURNS!) Also, long exposure to the water increases chances of dehydration. Not good. Don't want to be cold...not good either. Make sure they use sunscreen (NOT oil, as oil damages the reefs.) Water temp in March is about 78-82 F, on average, depending where you go. I pulled out my dive log and have air temps low to mid 80s F with bottom temp at 60-75 ft of 80-82 F. Hope this helps. I can't say too much about the mangroves. But, of course, the shallow water should be warmer.

I snorkel for 4-5 hours per day on weekends here in Belize and the minimum I wear is a 3mm shortie. This time of year through maybe April, I'll use a full 3 or even 4x3. If you're just floating along looking without much movement, you'll get cold faster.

Welcome to the board.
As a bare minimum I would suggest a nylon skin. Both for sunburn protection and from jellyfish. Sun block is not really that useful as it washes off and is not good for the reef. A big floppy hat to cover your head and neck is not a bad idea either.

The biggest worry is the sun. Getting cold in that caribbean water usually isn't a problem. I prefer a 2mm shorty. I like my lower legs to sink so that I can fin effectively. The 2mm shorty helps with buoyancy, but not so much as to prevent you from diving down for a few deeper look sees!

where can I sign up for your class?

Thanks, everyone, for your input. I scouted the field sites for the class last year wearing a 3mm full suit - and was as happy as a clam. I began wondering about the necessity of wetsuits after talking to a couple of very experienced course leaders (other schools, same destination) whose students never wear any protection.... the age old conflict between your own common sense and advice from someone else!

Thanks again.

lord123 - Sounds fun, huh? Half of our time will be in the water, half hiking in forests. Last year I proposed the course to the biology department here and 2/3 of the faculty wanted to sign up!

This goes without saying, but remind the students that sunscreen comes off. The oily residue floats on the water surface without losing its efectiveness. It blocks the UV rays from reaching the coral and thats not good. I have heard of tourist areas suffering badly from sunblock oil slicks on the surface. A longsleeve rashguard is much more environmentally friendly.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom