caribbean snorkeling - diveskin, wetsuit, or nothing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

snailman:
Thanks, everyone, for your input. I scouted the field sites for the class last year wearing a 3mm full suit - and was as happy as a clam. I began wondering about the necessity of wetsuits after talking to a couple of very experienced course leaders (other schools, same destination) whose students never wear any protection.... the age old conflict between your own common sense and advice from someone else!
People that are used to a warm climate on average want more insulation than people from colder places. And some people just run colder than others. There isn't one right answer. I suggest full coverage of some sort, or people snorkeling for a long time will get burned to a crisp. A shorty will likely result in burned backs of arms and calves. Even so called "waterproof" sunblock isn't going to do the job. I always wear a skin.

Dive skins, wetsuits or nothing? If your class is co-ed then nothing seems a little risque, I would recomend bathing suits.

Take lots of bottled water and make sure that your students don't get dehydrated while snorkeling or hiking. Dehydration plus a little sunburn and you have an issue.

Jim

I get cold quickly on Scuba, however snorkeling I am fine for 2-3 hrs in a 1 mil suit - And as others have stated, it protects from the sun and critters - perhaps an even more important factor than getting cold. The other benefit of a skin/thin suit is that they are not near as hot when out of the water as even a 3mil will get, plus they dry faster.

Aloha, Tim

Back
Top Bottom