Caribbean Criteria

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I should have specified that the all-inclusives need to be pretty big international companies for us to get a big discount.... places like Sandals, Secrets, Riu, Dreams, etc.

I see. I really don't know about these big names since I never stayed at this type of hotel and never looked for one. I am sure you can find this type of hotel in Curacao but don't know about LC or Bonaire.

St. Lucia with Sandals Resorts sound appealing?

I've not dove by Dominican Republic but they have A.I. resorts, I believe? Might be worth checking into.

Adding St Lucia to the list.... Thank you. Haven't heard much about quality of Dominican diving either.

So.... looking at some of the options available to us, Curacao seems to be a winner. Airfare appears to be really good, and they have the big-name AI resorts. St. Lucia is also up for consideration. Curious how the diving is compared to Coz.....

they have the big-name AI resorts.
What are they?

how the diving is compared to Coz

Do you mean Curacao vs. Cozumel?
I have been to Curacao 13 times and planing to go back as soon as I have the time this year. Cozumel been there once long time ago, been there done that not going back anytime soon.

Curious how the diving is compared to Coz.....
Cozumel is famous for drift diving; my 10-dives in Curacao didn't see much drift (IIRC, we did a dive as a drift somewhere in the mix, but not on par with drifting in Cozumel). So the topography (such as sloping wall in Curacao) and lack of drift diving should differ. I saw black-tip sharks and nurse sharks in Cozumel; in 10-trips to Bonaire I've never seen a shark, and Curacao's diving is often compared to Bonaire's (I didn't see a shark in Curacao, either).

While Cozumel has some shore diving, Curacao is specifically known as a shore (and boat) diving destination. If you want to get in some shore diving, whether independent on guided (e.g.: the Dive Bus), Curacao is a strong option.

I really liked my trip to Cozumel, but I'm not a big fan of drift diving as I'm not too good at 'drift pacing' the guides. In that sense, Curacao diving was easier for me. Someone very good at pacing the guide who enjoys drifting rather than finning might have a different opinion.

...I probably should have stated "big name" all-inclusives like Sandals, Riu, Secrets, etc.
Your accommodations requirement is very limiting for many locations with the best diving.

At 2 trips per year, you may run out of new places pretty quickly and end up repeating, like you did in Cozumel.

Best of luck

Curacao's diving is often compared to Bonaire's (I didn't see a shark in Curacao, either).
I see nurse sharks often especially at mushroom forest.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom