care for neoprene drysuit seals?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chipwd

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I picked up a neoprene drysuit from a buddy and so far so good. It is a Henderson in good shape but I'm wondering what care I should use on the neoprene neck and wrist seals to prolong their life?

I picked up a neoprene dry suit from a buddy and so far so good. It is a Henderson in good shape but I'm wondering what care I should use on the neoprene neck and wrist seals to prolong their life?

Keep it away from an ozone producing source such as but no limited to the following:

Hot water heaters & furnaces
Electric motors
Don't store it in a sunny location

My dry suit is stored in a heated/air conditioned room.
If the seals are removable like DUI Zip Seals store them in a zip lock bag when not being used for extended period of time (2 months or more)
Seal Saver can be used to help preserve latex and neoprene seals.
Use zip Eze on both sides of the main dry suit zipper

I am sure that other who have a lot ore dry suit experience than I do can add to this list.

Look up the care of neoprene in general

If the wrist seals are skin-in, make sure you lubricate them before sticking your hands through them. Pushing them through dry really wears them out quickly. If they are dry, you can use baby or talcum powder. Since I was doing multiple dives over a weekend, mine were always damp, so I used dish soap mixed 50/50 with water. The only problem is you then have the soap on your hands while you finish gearing up. I noticed other people using water-based personal lubricant, and it sems to work fine, other than the comments pulling the bottle out of your gear bag generates.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom