Carbon Monoxide tank risks and protections….

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well Don I picked up my Analox CO detector today and went through the manual and stuff. I am ready for my trip in May. It just occurred to me that everyone drinks bottled water around here, which makes no sense to me at all especially in Canada. However we don't give a second thought to the air we breathe. So once again thanks for keeping this issue in the fore-front and presenting a good case for why everyone should have one available to them.

Well Don I picked up my Analox CO detector today and went through the manual and stuff. I am ready for my trip in May. It just occurred to me that everyone drinks bottled water around here, which makes no sense to me at all especially in Canada. However we don't give a second thought to the air we breathe. So once again thanks for keeping this issue in the fore-front and presenting a good case for why everyone should have one available to them.
Where are you going? I hope your trip report includes general experiences to tank testing, i.e. highest results, attitude of the dive Op & other divers onboard, etc.

(Drinking bottled water when it's safe out of the tap, free, and as good as yours is indeed silly. Ours is kinda "hard," lots of calcium, but still tasty and good quality. I only use bottled water on camping trips and then buy in gallons to refill personal bottles.)

I am going to Maui for a week and hope to do about 7 or 8 dives. Most will be shore dives and a couple of boat dives. I think the air there is probably as sweet as you will ever find. However things happen.

I have thought about the possible reaction from the dive ops and have basically decided to gently ask them if they would mind if I tested my tank before I hooked in to it. I am really hoping they don't see it as a thing where they think I am questioning their integrity or quality and they view it as an independent safety measure. If there is any hesitation I would have to say that it is a standard practice with me. I have seen how you guys hash things over in the A&I forum. I can just see the things people would say if I did succumb to Co and had a Co detector in my bag.

For the other divers. I would actually ask them if they would like to test their tanks as well. The thing is going to last 2 years whether I use it or not. So again, I would feel very bad if something happened to someone and I hadn't acted proactively.

I am hoping that as more and more people start using them, these things won't be an issue, and dive ops will say "hey I didn't see you test your tank, would you like to use our detector." Or someone will ask, "Can I borrow someone's Co detector."

Is there a legal reason why dive-ops don't have them on board? They have a quarter to half-million dollar boat. The $400 will hardly break them. They tell you where the life vests are stowed. If I am sitting there strapped to my BCD I doubt I would bother with another flotation device. I wish they would say "we are going to pass around the co detector, please check your tanks."

I will let you know the readings that I get and the reactions. I have to figure out what is acceptable. Yesterday after I got it, I blew in to it and it read 3ppm. So I assume anything over that is a no go. I think there is a thread on here that I will have to go hunt down and check it out.

I started a dialogue with my LDS saying that they need to stress this whole CO thing a bit more. I feel they also need to say it is "very important to test your tanks in some of the more out of the way places where technology is slow getting there." In our class it was covered in a sort perfunctory off-handed manner. When I said to them, I would be careful even just riding in the back of a power boat depending on conditions they all looked at me like I was weird. Remember all those deaths a few years ago from kids and people laying on the swim grids and then dying before anyone knew what was what. There have also been cases where exhaust fumes will back-draught into the boat's cabin.

Raj

I have seen how you guys hash things over in the A&I forum. I can just see the things people would say if I did succumb to Co and had a Co detector in my bag.
:lol:

I would get really upset at any Op that challenged my use of my air tester on their tanks. "So, you afraid I'll find something or what...??" :eyebrow:

For the other divers. I would actually ask them if they would like to test their tanks as well. The thing is going to last 2 years whether I use it or not. So again, I would feel very bad if something happened to someone and I hadn't acted proactively.
Good attitude. I really haven't been offering, but I guess at least asking would be ok. I hate to seem like a know it all on boat (doesn't bother me here :D ) but what could it hurt to ask. Hawaii Ops are probably much more careful than those outside the reach of our DOT, CG, and courts, but still...

Have a great trip... :pilot:

:lol:

I would get really upset at any Op that challenged my use of my air tester on their tanks. "So, you afraid I'll find something or what...??" :eyebrow:

Well I am not that confrontational. I would spend my money elsewhere. The advantages of capitalism.

Good attitude. I really haven't been offering, but I guess at least asking would be ok. I hate to seem like a know it all on boat (doesn't bother me here :D ) but what could it hurt to ask. Hawaii Ops are probably much more careful than those outside the reach of our DOT, CG, and courts, but still...

Have a great trip... :pilot:

I won't live long enough to know it all. But if challenged, I would say, "Well I know this guy in Texas.... and if you don't test your frigging tank you will have to answer to him.

I will have a great trip thank you. I love Maui. The people there are awesome.

Just ordered a pocket CO detector because of this thread. Am very curious to see the results.
It can work. My experiences with it were challenging tho. It's sensitive to cross contamination so you really have to keep it in a zip lock between tests, in my opinion. I hated the special bag they came up with; stuck with slider gallon zip locks - and you need to give each test 3 minutes. Then my sensor went bad after it was only 2 years old, best we can tell after talking to tech support about failure to calibrate.

I may send it in for replacement on their $70 program as I like wearing it in some - maybe, as I am paranoid about the lack of monitoring in public places, but for diving I'm settled on the Analox model. Eh, I carry a battery powered home model in my car, even tho the greenhouse heat is hard on it when parked - so I may just carry it in cafes, etc. :idk: I do take it in every hotel room I use.

Let me know how the Pocket CO works out...??

Why not just get the Co Pro test kits?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom