carbon monoxide in tanks - cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The clinical scenario certainly suggests contaminated air. Do we have any information from the patients mentioned relating testing for carboxyhemoglobin or the discharge diagnosis? Certain hydrocarbon inhalents may also cause a loss of consciousness or pulmonary complications.

In the US, COHb is not a particularly unusual test to have available at a hospital lab--some arterial blood gas analyzers have this incorporated into the instrument. Not sure about Mexico. The good news is that, should CO be the culprit, it is treatable with oxygen (preferably 100% via mask) and potentially hyperbaric therapy--not unusual treatments for dive destinations. That assumes you survive your loss of consciousness at depth.

Last edited:
I have put my next Cozumel trip on hold. Maybe it will go to FL.
Oh, I wouldn't. I test every tank I dive anyway, Mexico, Florida, or yesterday in Roatan. Ask me for references with Dive Palancar tho? :no:
The clinical scenario certainly suggests contaminated air. Do we have any information from the patients mentioned relating testing for carboxyhemoglobin or the discharge diagnosis? Certain hydrocarbon inhalents may also cause a loss of consciousness or pulmonary complications.

In the US, COHb is not a particularly unusual test to have available at a hospital lab--some arterial blood gas analyzers have this incorporated into the instrument. Not sure about Mexico. The good news is that, should CO be the culprit, it is treatable with oxygen (preferably 100% via mask) and potentially hyperbaric therapy. That assumes you survive your loss of consciousness at depth.
We really don't know much of anything. No one with first hand knowledge is posting. I am going to call DAN Monday; I don't expect them to comment, but I am going to ask some questions about this accident and their loss of focus. Do they work for divers or for corporate sponsors?

Sorry, minor edit for post clarification before I realized that anyone followed up on my post.

I should note that I have a bit of personal concern for this, as I was diving in Cozumel when this happened (not directly associated with the incident, though). I first learned of the incident, not from Scubaboard, but from a hospital administrator with whom I work, who, if I understood correctly, was present at the time!

I still wonder why so few of us bother to spend $150 to be sure...?

Why don't mre divers purchase O2 sensors? Good question. Perhaps it's because many shops don't have them in inventory, sitting on the shelves waiting to be sold?

It wouldn't help with new divers. The salesman would tell the new diver, "Thats' for when you get bad air."

Why don't mre divers purchase O2 sensors? Good question. Perhaps it's because many shops don't have them in inventory, sitting on the shelves waiting to be sold?

It wouldn't help with new divers. The salesman would tell the new diver, "Thats' for when you get bad air."

Most divers who dive enriched air don't have their own 02 analyzer. The average vacation diver certainly doesn't carry that or a CO2 analyzer. I have both because I own the dive shop. But honestly, I probably wouldn't if I didn't have the shop. I would tend to trust the shop. But I also research and check into other shops extensively before using them. Does everyone? I think most just blindly trust.

Sorry, minor edit for post clarification before I realized that anyone followed up on my post.

I should note that I have a bit of personal concern for this, as I was diving in Cozumel when this happened (not directly associated with the incident, though). I first learned of the incident, not from Scubaboard, but from a hospital administrator with whom I work, who, if I understood correctly, was present at the time!
Could you find out how many were injured and how many killed, then let us know...?
But honestly, I probably wouldn't if I didn't have the shop. I would tend to trust the shop. But I also research and check into other shops extensively before using them. Does everyone? I think most just blindly trust.
If very experienced divers won't test, I suppose we are destined to keep repeating the same learning experience. Checking out a shop's reputation or what safety procedures they claim to have helps little if you arrive after long, expensive travel to learn that they do little to prevent contamination.

But yes, most just blindly trust I think.

Most divers who dive enriched air don't have their own 02 analyzer. The average vacation diver certainly doesn't carry that or a CO2 analyzer. I have both because I own the dive shop. But honestly, I probably wouldn't if I didn't have the shop. I would tend to trust the shop. But I also research and check into other shops extensively before using them. Does everyone? I think most just blindly trust.

ZenDiver is correct on each point raised. Divers trust and we in the industry should honor that trust.

We really don't know much of anything. No one with first hand knowledge is posting. I am going to call DAN Monday; I don't expect them to comment, but I am going to ask some questions about this accident and their loss of focus. Do they work for divers or for corporate sponsors?

I think your call to DAN is a good idea. Please let us know what you learn.

Also, I thought I posted a fairly good report on the actual incident a couple nights back. I have also completed a report with DAN and a report with PADI quality control. PADI has followed-up and seemed to have an established process in place to make sure the incident is researched. PADI already had any open case by the time I reported in, and my information was added to the existing case. DAN on the other hand has done a great job at making sure I've gotten any medical treatment I needed however, they have not even responded to my incident report. In contrast PADI emailed and called back within a couple hours assuring me they would obtain the dive shops reports of the incident and were already following up from a previous report that my information was being added with.

Bottom-line. I'm sure the problem has now been corrected. However if 3-5% of tanks are CO loaded that means we as divers gets a bad tank on average every 25-33 dives. Portable tank testing for recreational divers must be advanced and educated just like testing Oxygen levels in Nitrox. My whole family dives (including my 10 year old son). Enforcing air standards at dive shops is great... but as divers we need the tools to insure are tanks are safe... and the industry groups should be leading the charge and seeing that as divers we are informed and making an air tester part of the basic dive equipment package should become a standard.

Also, when my 10 year old got certified (PADI) a year ago I participated with him. Bad air was hardly even talked about. If it smells bad or tastes bad get a new tank... That is a terrible standard as this incident has shown...

I here what your saying... but this is probable what needs to change. The industry needs to be telling every diver they need to test their tanks. Bad air has always been a risk but telling us to make sure it doesn't taste bad or smell bad clearly is a terrible standard for air quality... and will never help with CO.

Bottom-line. I'm sure the problem has now been corrected. However if 3-5% of tanks are CO loaded that means we as divers gets a bad tank on average every 25-33 dives. Portable tank testing for recreational divers must be advanced and educated just like testing Oxygen levels in Nitrox. My whole family dives (including my 10 year old son). Enforcing air standards at dive shops is great... but as divers we need the tools to insure are tanks are safe... and the industry groups should be leading the charge and seeing that as divers we are informed and making an air tester part of the basic dive equipment package should become a standard.

Better yet, let the industry norm support CO testing just like it supports O2 testing in nitrox. Now that Dive Palancar has apparently established a need for CO testing of their gas, let them provide their divers with the capability. Occidental Grand used to be my preferred place to stay in Cozumel. I guess I am done with them until their in-house dive op takes the necessary steps to insure safe gas.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom