carbon monoxide in tanks - cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

They partial-pressure blend in the scuba tank, I recall in batches of approximately 10-12 at a time. Easy to do, since they always drain them first.

As far as testing goes...

From this fill station, I've once found an EAN36 bottle from them that tested at around 60 or 70% O2. It was also a short-fill, but it was intended as a stage bottle for a dive where a half-fill would have been ok (but EAN60 could have been a problem). The most disturbing thing is that there was an analysis sticker on the tank indicating 36. We ripped the fill-monkey a new orifice.

We also had a batch of air which we tested at 4ppm CO which we rejected. I am unsure of the fill station that these came from. 4ppm is "within spec", but I consider any measurable CO grounds for rejection.

Just so I am clear on this...by "from this fill station" you are referring to Meridiano on Cozumel, right?

Terrifying

"We also had a batch of air which we tested at 4ppm CO which we rejected. I am unsure of the fill station that these came from. 4ppm is "within spec", but I consider any measurable CO grounds for rejection."

Good for you. There is no reason why the air in the tank should be worse than the ambient air if they have taken proper measures. I would have rejected it too.

On another note, some said that there are no in-line CO monitors on the Island. However, I dove with Dressel in Coz a while back and was curious about their set-up after this story broke so I e-mailed them 2 questions. This is the response I got:

"Does your on-site Bauer compressor use a manganese dioxide based catalyst such as Monoxycon (another name brand is Hopcalite 300) that oxidizes CO (carbon monoxide) into CO2 (carbon dioxide)? YES

Does this on-site Bauer compressor contain an in-line CO (carbon monoxide) monitor to shut down the compressor in the event CO is detected in the system? YES

Best regards,

Elise Versteege
Reservations Manager"

I would therefore feel confident diving with them again but would still do my own testing just to be sure.

Good diving to all and I look forward to you posting your results of the various operations as you visit them.

"We also had a batch of air which we tested at 4ppm CO which we rejected. I am unsure of the fill station that these came from. 4ppm is "within spec", but I consider any measurable CO grounds for rejection."

Good for you. There is no reason why the air in the tank should be worse than the ambient air if they have taken proper measures. I would have rejected it too.

I've also seen 20ppm in the "ambient air" on the back of a diesel-powered dive boat (not in Cozumel) while underway. I went elsewhere on the boat...

Alternatively if you want to check a lot of tanks quickly I have the yoke valve flow restrictor shown below from Analox which is overpriced. Better off just purchasing a DIN flow restrictor and a yoke adapter then you can do both valve types without having to attach a first stage to the tank.

The brass lp flow restrictor can be adjusted and it is set up at 1 lpm.

Always, Pete has some great info and examples. One other that I will throw out - I have an old Mares MR12 first stage that I can make DIN or Yoke. I keep it around for misc projects. It has an LP hose on it that I can hook up any number of attachments like a tire inflator, air nozzle, and an lp restrictor. Not quite as compact as the DIN/Yoke flow restrictors but a bit more utilitarian. And regs like the MR12 can be found used for about $50 used and are pretty indestructible.

I had sent an e-mail to Aldora Divers (I'll be in Cozumel the end of this month) to inquire about who does their air fills and how often the gas is checked and got back this response:

The filling station that takes care of our tank fillings is extremely professional and the air is tested every month, samples of air are sent to Lawrence Factor in Florida for its analysis. I will be happy to take you for a tour, I love that filling station is the biggest one in the world by far.

Dive palancar uses their compresors.

We use Meridiano 87, they have been in the gas bussines for years, the owner is also shareholder of airproducts on the states, he is a diver and has a house here in cozumel.

Saludos,

Memo Mendoza
Aldora Divers

After hearing from them I certainly feel better about the air they use. I had also received a PM on ScubaBoard from Dave Dillehay (the owner of Aldora) about my concerns. He expressed that the company that they use is "the largest industrial gas supplier in all of Mexico. They fill about 80 % of all tanks in Cozumel and I can tell you we have had no problem since 1992.".... Again, very reassuring information!

That's a very glowing testimonial offered by Memo. But if Meridiano is such a professional organization, why have they not bothered to install a 'CO Clear' or equivalent? Numerous knowledgeable people here in this thread have pointed out that periodic testing is a good thing, but not nearly as effective as in line monitoring.

If Meridiano is the 'biggest one in the world by far', certainly they know about these things and can easily afford an in line monitor.

Meridiano's silence on this matter is not comforting.

beachnik, it comes down to need and demand. If something has not been a problem in the past then there is little perceived need. Further, if the buyers are not asking for it then there is no demand. Kind of like a home smoke detector. If you have never had a fire in your house or known any one then there is little perceived need further if not required then there is little demand.

In both cases though the detectors are a good idea.

On another note, some said that there are no in-line CO monitors on the Island. However, I dove with Dressel in Coz a while back and was curious about their set-up after this story broke so I e-mailed them 2 questions. This is the response I got:

"Does your on-site Bauer compressor use a manganese dioxide based catalyst such as Monoxycon (another name brand is Hopcalite 300) that oxidizes CO (carbon monoxide) into CO2 (carbon dioxide)? YES

Does this on-site Bauer compressor contain an in-line CO (carbon monoxide) monitor to shut down the compressor in the event CO is detected in the system? YES

Best regards,

Elise Versteege
Reservations Manager"
Uh, I've just been told that they don't have a compressor on site. Which is true I don't know; you can hear anything. Anyone going there soon? Pics would be appreciated...

I was at Iberostar this past November and Dressel has a compressor onsite.
At that time I did not pay attention to CO monitors of course.

I emailed DWM since I will be diving with them as well this coming april as well and ask them who their fill operator is and do they have a CO monitor.

I still have not received a response. It really is amazing, when it comes to safety "mum" is par for the course in Cozumel.

They wont be happy with me when I hold the boat up (Being one of the last pick up stops at the occidental) testing my tank.

Now to find an analyzer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom