carbon monoxide in tanks - cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

And pyrolysis is only one danger for electric compressors. Pluming is more of a risk with a diesel power compressor that produces its own CO, but it can happen at an electric powered site with other sources around - like an adjacent boat dock, idling boats, and no wind.

So if a bunch of us start showing up on dive boats and use our personal air testers, and email the dive shop ahead of time asking what safety measures are in place to ensure clean air, do you think this will raise the standards ?

So if a bunch of us start showing up on dive boats and use our personal air testers, and email the dive shop ahead of time asking what safety measures are in place to ensure clean air, do you think this will raise the standards ?

No. Only the perceived loss (or gain) of business is likely to change business practices.

No. Only the perceived loss (or gain) of business is likely to change business practices.

Maybe one way to get the word out to more businesses is when you're on vacation. Even if you're already diving with another operator, if you happen to walk by another shop, take five minutes to walk in and scout them out, to see if it's somewhere you'd consider in the future or recommend to friends visiting the area. Ask the shop the main questions you'd ask any operator you'd consider diving with, making sure you include questions about how they fill their tanks, how often then get their air tested, and whether they have in-line continuous CO monitoring. In the long run, some shops might start getting the message that people really are concerned about this.

Just spent the last hour searching for hand held CO monitors, this site Carbon Monoxide Detectors || CO Analyzers
has an assortment of them. I'm looking to buy one after reading this thread and the Maldives thread (scary to think I dove on the Baani Explorer in 2006 and have been to Coz many times).
I have sent an e-mail out to this supplier to see if any of these are adaptable to scuba tanks. I'll post back with findings.

Just spent the last hour searching for hand held CO monitors, this site Carbon Monoxide Detectors || CO Analyzers
has an assortment of them. I'm looking to buy one after reading this thread and the Maldives thread (scary to think I dove on the Baani Explorer in 2006 and have been to Coz many times).
I have sent an e-mail out to this supplier to see if any of these are adaptable to scuba tanks. I'll post back with findings.
I'll certainly look forward to any news you receive. The two main obstacles in the search...
Not many will measure in the 3 to 15 ppm range as urban air is commonly that polluted. I guess divers breathing under pressure are really the only market that cares much about such altho some monitors/analyzers have been developed for low range anyway.

Cost is a deterrent, since the agencies don't teach to test air for CO - not many divers worry about it, which still amazes me how naive the general attitude is, but most don't want to spend much to guard against an unseen enemy the Instructors don't seem concerned about.​
They have so many units, I only looked at few. The only that is mentioned to be "a cost-effective single gas monitor designed to protect personnel from dangerous hydrogen sulfide or Carbon monoxide gas exposure in The most extreme conditions" lists at $254.95 and may not be accurate in lowest ranges, but do let us know what you find out - including calibration needs. Good luck!

Well, today I spoke to three of the manufacturers and none have CO detectors with an adapter to be able to analyze directly from a cylinder. All the detectors are for ambient gasses. There are some with probe attachments to read in hard to reach places but that doesn't help us. I wonder if in a hardware store I could find a length of rubber tubing that on one end could be wrapped over the 1st stage opening and the other end over the detector's sensor? (Maybe one of you has a better solution) One rep told me I could return the apparatus within 30 days if it didn't work out. After looking at all the different ones there are three that look like they could be adapted, the least expensive is the Ambrobe CS100 for $140, it has a resolution of 1ppm but +/- 20% accuracy.

Well, today I spoke to three of the manufacturers and none have CO detectors with an adapter to be able to analyze directly from a cylinder. All the detectors are for ambient gasses. There are some with probe attachments to read in hard to reach places but that doesn't help us. I wonder if in a hardware store I could find a length of rubber tubing that on one end could be wrapped over the 1st stage opening and the other end over the detector's sensor? (Maybe one of you has a better solution) One rep told me I could return the apparatus within 30 days if it didn't work out. After looking at all the different ones there are three that look like they could be adapted, the least expensive is the Ambrobe CS100 for $140, it has a resolution of 1ppm but +/- 20% accuracy.
Looks like it might work out. Could not find it by that spelling but I think you meant the Amprobe CM100 Carbon Monoxide Meter w/ Adjustable CO Levels You might use this BC Connector for Gas Analysis but I have adapted okay to using one gallon zip lock with slider handle for easy closing. Insert detector, turn on, fill from tank, close, wait for reading. +20% in low range is not bad; 1 ppm off isn't going to hurt at 5 ppm. It's when you're the 15 ppm and up that you really worry, but if that 20 really means 16 to 24, or that 50 really means 40 to 60 - you don't want it in your lungs below. Things I learned in field testing that are not covered in manuals, and some other points to consider...
How sensitive to humidity?

How sensitive to cross contamination?

How long to clear if contaminated?

How long is the sensor good and how much to replace?​
It's nice that it uses AAA batteries, available almost anywhere.

Edit: In looking closer, I see (at 20 °C +/-5%, 50 +/-20% RH) = 68F and 30 to 70% humidity. Put it in the ziplock before you leave the air conditioned room and keep it in the dark, like you do a camera housing.

Looks like it could work ok. 6.9" long isn't terrible. So much better than just hoping huh?

Now, so much for my opinion. For a good one, send a PM to Swamp Diver and ask him to look at this post.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom