carbon monoxide in tanks - cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

too late to edit above: Details about calibrating...?

Here is my current "two bits" on this whole discussion:
I just returned from a week in Cozumel where I had more than ample opportunity to evaluate and utilize my CO analzyer set-up. Not only did I test my tanks each day, but also those of almost every other diver on my boat (6 to 7). It performed with ease and very little hassel.

I purchased the ToxiRAE 3 from PK Safety Supply for $155.20 plus shipping:

http://store.pksafety.net/toxi-rae-3.html

(Be sure you order the "low range" monitor!)

I obatained the 10 ppm calibration gas (17 liter) and regulator from JJS Technical Services. The gas was $48 and the regulator was $140. Seems like a lot of initial expense, but figure that the bottle of gas will do MANY calibrations and the regulator should last forever! BTW: I purchased the 1 liter/minute regulator. You could even probably get by with the 0.5 L/min regulator. Anything more than a liter per minute is simply wasting calibration gas.

http://www.jjstech.com/carbonmonoxide1.html
http://yhst-8480297768913.stores.yahoo.net/regulator.html

I then obtained a "BC Connector for Gas Analysis" from Tech Diving Limited for $30.45. It is calibrated at 2 liters per minute flow:

http://tdl.divebiz.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=10_30&products_id=539

I took about a 2 foot length of appropriate sized clear tubing (I work in an OR. It's easy for me to get oxygen grade tubing!) and attached the little BC connector to one end and the calibration adapter that comes with the ToxiRae 3 unit to the other end of the tubing.
Now I was all set!
Simply turn on the analyzer, snap on the calibration adapter, plug the other end of the tubing into the BC inflator house, and turn on your tank (with your regulator attached, of course!).... BINGO! 30 seconds later you have an analysis of what the CO level is in your tank! Then simply disconnect the adapter from your BC and move on down the line to everyone else's tanks! You will amaze and impress everyone on the boat. And, they will all appreciate you immensely!
I will try to get some photos together that I can add here to show it all together. And, if there are any questions, don't hesitate to PM me.

Last edited:
So if a bunch of us start showing up on dive boats and use our personal air testers, and email the dive shop ahead of time asking what safety measures are in place to ensure clean air, do you think this will raise the standards ?

Maybe start a thread here listing dive shops that do and do not test for CO.

I'm afraid that would be the vast majority of them!

I purchased the ToxiRAE 3 from PK Safety Supply for $155.20 plus shipping:

SALE - RAE Systems ToxiRAE 3 Single Gas Detector - PK Safety Supplies

(Be sure you order the "low range" monitor!)

I obatained the 10 ppm calibration gas (17 liter) and regulator from JJS Technical Services. The gas was $48 and the regulator was $140. Seems like a lot of initial expense, but figure that the bottle of gas will do MANY calibrations and the regulator should last forever! BTW: I purchased the 1 liter/minute regulator. You could even probably get by with the 0.5 L/min regulator. Anything more than a liter per minute is simply wasting calibration gas.

Carbon Monoxide (CO) Calibration Gas

Regulators for Calibration Gas

I then obtained a "BC Connector for Gas Analysis" from Tech Diving Limited for $30.45. It is calibrated at 2 liters per minute flow:

BC Connector for Gas Analysis [GA-BC-Flow] - $30.45 : Tech Diving Limited, a subsidiary of Scuba Training and Technology Inc.

I took about a 2 foot length of appropriate sized clear tubing (I work in an OR. It's easy for me to get oxygen grade tubing!) and attached the little BC connector to one end and the calibration adapter that comes with the ToxiRae 3 unit to the other end of the tubing.
Now I was all set!
Simply turn on the analyzer, snap on the calibration adapter, plug the other end of the tubing into the BC inflator house, and turn on your tank (with your regulator attached, of course!).... BINGO! 30 seconds later you have an analysis of what the CO level is in your tank! Then simply disconnect the adapter from your BC and move on down the line to everyone else's tanks! You will amaze and impress everyone on the boat. And, they will all appreciate you immensely!
Your color codes disabled the links. I took those out to enable.

Sounds like a very nice setup...!
How about just the ones you saw testing. Some of them give lip service that does not hold up.
I'm afraid that would be the vast majority of them!
South of the US and overseas - yeah.

Really, when you leave the US, the odds are that they don't test, and if they do - it's right after changing filters only. I don't trust anymore; I confirm.

That would make a good stickie thread.

@ suprane - re post #202 - Great info

Unless I missed it, you didn't mention anything about finding any tanks with excessive CO, so I presume that there were none. Correct?

What was the highest level of CO you observed? What would you estimate was the average level of CO you observed?

Do you know which filler was providing tanks to your dive operator - was it Meridiano?

@ suprane - re post #202 - Great info

Unless I missed it, you didn't mention anything about finding any tanks with excessive CO, so I presume that there were none. Correct?

What was the highest level of CO you observed? What would you estimate was the average level of CO you observed?

Do you know which filler was providing tanks to your dive operator - was it Meridiano?

Meridiano 87 was indeed the supplier. It is my understanding that they provide the gasses for most of the operators on the island.

All of the tanks that we tested ran between 5 to 6 ppm every day.... I was a bit surprised it was even that high! Nobody seemed to have any problems with the air, however. To be quite honest, I am not 100% sure what the maximum allowable should be!? :confused:
And, it didn't seem to make any difference if it was air or Nitrox (32% or 36%), they all tested the same.

Meridiano 87 was indeed the supplier. It is my understanding that they provide the gasses for most of the operators on the island.

All of the tanks that we tested ran between 5 to 6 ppm every day.... I was a bit surprised it was even that high! Nobody seemed to have any problems with the air, however. To be quite honest, I am not 100% sure what the maximum allowable should be!? :confused:
And, it didn't seem to make any difference if it was air or Nitrox (32% or 36%), they all tested the same.
Oh really now?! :no: There shouldn't be any. 10-15% is legal in most of the few countries that regulate, UK is 3 ppm, Mexico doesn't regulate - but that sucks. If it could be 5-6 ppm, on a bad day what's to stop it from being 15-20? Damn! :shocked2:

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom