carbon monoxide in tanks - cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well I broke down and ordered a ToxiRAE 3 Analyzer from PK Safety Supply ($164.56 with shipping), a 17 L tank of 10 ppm carbon monoxide ($48.00) and a 0.5 L/Min fixed rate regulator (134.00) from JJS Technical ($201.45 with shipping), and finally a BC Connector for Gas Analysis form Tech Dive Limited ($34.78 with shipping)
SALE - RAE Systems ToxiRAE 3 Single Gas Detector - $129.00 - PK Safety Supplies
Carbon Monoxide (CO) 17 Liter Cylinder 10 ppm / Air
Regulator 0.5 LPM (17 / 34 Liter)
https://portalhood.com/~divebiz/tdl...id=539&zenid=36dd27b2d8592fe3835f63b909f457c6

I had sent an e-mail to Aldora Divers (I'll be in Cozumel the end of this month) to inquire about who does their air fills and how often the gas is checked and got back this response:

The filling station that takes care of our tank fillings is extremely professional and the air is tested every month, samples of air are sent to Lawrence Factor in Florida for its analysis. I will be happy to take you for a tour, I love that filling station is the biggest one in the world by far.

Dive palancar uses their compresors.

We use Meridiano 87, they have been in the gas bussines for years, the owner is also shareholder of airproducts on the states, he is a diver and has a house here in cozumel.

Saludos,

Memo Mendoza
Aldora Divers

After hearing from them I certainly feel better about the air they use. I had also received a PM on ScubaBoard from Dave Dillehay (the owner of Aldora) about my concerns. He expressed that the company that they use is "the largest industrial gas supplier in all of Mexico. They fill about 80 % of all tanks in Cozumel and I can tell you we have had no problem since 1992.".... Again, very reassuring information!

He also indicated that the filled their Nitrox by partial pressure method and always had 32% and 36% on hand, but that they should be able to "custom blend" whatever mix a client desired with 24 hour advanced notice.... Nice info to have!

I hope this information is of help to anyone else traveling to Cozumel! :)

Suprane, just one point I forgot to mention which you probably figured out in that you want the low range 0 to 500 ppm sensor not the 0 to 1000 ppm version in the ToxiRae 3.

I would agree with everything you have been told by Aldora. I toured that Meridiano plant a decade ago, and it is the largest fill station I have seen to date on the planet outside of the setup Duke University uses for their chamber compressors. Clearly a very professional operation probably worth a couple hundred grand just in those two Norwalk Slimline compressors, but it would certainly be a big plus if they could spend the thousand bucks and install an Analox fixed CO monitor.

I'm sure more dive ops on the island would choose the Meridiano facility if they knew the compressed air was monitored for CO in real time.

He also indicated that the filled their Nitrox by partial pressure method and always had 32% and 36% on hand, but that they should be able to "custom blend" whatever mix a client desired with 24 hour advanced notice.... Nice info to have!

How can it possibly make sense for an operation that size to do PP blending?

Maybe we have a communications problem.

How can it possibly make sense for an operation that size to do PP blending?

Maybe we have a communications problem.

I've seen the operation first-hand and yes, they do partial-pressure blend. All Nitrox tanks are emptied, O2 is loaded from a cascade, and topped off with OCA. I think in Cozumel they have different standards for what makes sense.

Correction - PADI NO LONGER requires quarterly air sample.

Source Barry Dunford - PADI Northwest Director

Are you sure?

At least in the past, PADI required PADI Retaiers in the US to conduct quarterly air testing. Has that changed?

I don't know if the requirement applied to Mexico.

I am no cheer leader for PADI. On the other hand, if PADI requires US retailers to conduct quarterly air tests, then we should not put false statements out there to the contrary.

I've seen the operation first-hand and yes, they do partial-pressure blend. All Nitrox tanks are emptied, O2 is loaded from a cascade, and topped off with OCA. I think in Cozumel they have different standards for what makes sense.

Unfortunately, that makes perfectly good sense. Who else could build a highway from 5 gal buckets. It is just such an error prone procedure that it is a little scary. although, I guess if you have 4 guy who do nothing but blend nitrox, they probably get pretty good at it.

I wonder who O2 cleans the tanks. Right.

Unfortunately, that makes perfectly good sense. Who else could build a highway from 5 gal buckets. It is just such an error prone procedure that it is a little scary. although, I guess if you have 4 guy who do nothing but blend nitrox, they probably get pretty good at it.

I wonder who O2 cleans the tanks. Right.

Shouldn't be particularly "error prone" if it's done correctly... Follow the charts and check your final mix before you send it out. And, like you said, if they've got guys there that have been doing it for years.
It is by far the least "equipment intensive" way of doing the job!

Awap, Adelman, Suprane...thanks for those comments...clearly you three know way more than I will ever know about how nitrox is conjured up....
and now I feel more squeamish than ever about the common practice in Coz for nitrox divers to dive without testing their tank. I saw that done more on my last trip there than I have seem cumulatively on all my trips to date. It was the exception rather than the rule, when I saw someone other than myself insist on testing their mix before jumping in. But I digress. Keep discussing, I am learning alot from you.

Also...how does it help the diver with their anoxic brain injury if the air is tested for CO after the injury? Or two weeks before s/he dove some other tank.(re sending samples to the US?) No disrespect to Memo, Meridiano, etc... just want someone to actually try to make sense of that for me

Back
Top Bottom