carbon monoxide in tanks - cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Also...how does it help the diver with their anoxic brain injury if the air is tested for CO after the injury? Or two weeks before s/he dove some other tank.(re sending samples to the US?) No disrespect to Memo, Meridiano, etc... just want someone to actually try to make sense of that for me
I am not sure I get your point. I first became interested when I learned that most off shore operators do not send samples, but as I leared more about how fast air quality can change - I lost interest. Now I want to see inline monitors and double check with my own in case those are not calibrated correctly.

As far as divers not checking their Nitrox, seen that once in Coz. They said they were diving air computers with Nx as a hedge, but I suggested that was still foolhardy.

Let me follow up on my comment regarding my conversation with Barry Dunford who is a regional rep for PADI. This conversation was about a year or so ago. So the exact specifics might be fuzzy. He related to me that in the past PADI required inspection reports be sent into PADI. However, given reports came from all over managing it was problematic. Further, when they did not come in on time a simple excuse of "it was mailed" could be given so enforcement was difficult. As such, PADI discontinued the requirement BUT they still recommended testing. Just like they recommend that other equipment be properly maintained.

Edit I bought my ToxiRae from these folks:

http://www.safetywestinc.com/raesystems.html

I paid ~$137 plus tax. They are in Salt Lake City and I am sure they would ship.

Last edited:
Awap, Adelman, Suprane...thanks for those comments...clearly you three know way more than I will ever know about how nitrox is conjured up....
and now I feel more squeamish than ever about the common practice in Coz for nitrox divers to dive without testing their tank. I saw that done more on my last trip there than I have seem cumulatively on all my trips to date. It was the exception rather than the rule, when I saw someone other than myself insist on testing their mix before jumping in. But I digress. Keep discussing, I am learning alot from you.

Anyone, and I mean ANYONE, who dives Nitrox without first analyzing their tank to KNOW what it actually contains, is simply playing Russian Roulette! You may get by with it often, but eventually (if you do it often enough) you will get hurt if not killed! As DandyDon says:

"You wouldn't think of diving Nitrox without analyzing the O2 content first; why would you trust your life to CO analysis that may have been completed three months ago - IF THEY EVEN DO THAT?! The time, effort, and cost to check each and every cylinder of gas you dive for carbon monoxide is negligible, especially when considering the dire outcome of contaminated dive gas."
I will admit that it is probably much more common to get a mis-mixed bottle of Nitrox than it is to get a CO contaminated bottle of air. But, I think the later is probably getting more common. Part of this may be due to the rapidly exploding numbers of people entering diving. This results in greatly increased strain on the existing compressors and a lot of operators trying to minimixe their overhead costs by pushing their compressors harder than they should and cutting corners on their facilities, training, and safety considerations. The other thing is that in times past there was not the global access to information that there is now... There wasn't the internet and sites like ScubaBoard. And so when incidents like this occurred (and trust me, they did!)they were quickly swept under the rug and the public in general NEVER had any knowledge of the occurence!... Would you have known about this if you were not a member of this site?..... I think not. And if you were to position yourself outside of Palancar Divers tomorrow and ask everyone about to go inside if they were aware of this incident, sadly, I bet you would not find a single person who has heard of it!

CO analyzers have just recently really become reliable enough, accurate enough (measuring low enough levels of CO), and reasonably priced to the point where they are a viable consideration for serious divers. Still relatively expensive, I think the price will continue to fall and they will become more "diver friendly" as time goes on! :D

As far as your comment about not knowing as much as some of the rest of us..... I still have LOTS to learn!... The courses are out there and I encourage you to keep learning and refining your skills. You can quickly become (with the right training) the kind of diver that the "newbies" on the boat look up to and think, "Man I wish I was that good!"... NEVER STOP LEARNING!

I will be staying at the OG later in a few weeks and will check an see If Dive Palancar has installed a CO monitor and will report back if someone has not done it yet.

What I find curios is that the "PRO COZUMEL" dive operators have been quite silent on this thread. They normally chime in in matters of fees and diving costs but when it comes to SAFETY which is paramount there is complete silence from them!

What I find curios is that the "PRO COZUMEL" dive operators have been quite silent on this thread. They normally chime in in matters of fees and diving costs but when it comes to SAFETY which is paramount there is complete silence from them!

Of course they're silent. They can't name 1 fill station on the island that has CO monitoring.

I am not sure I get your point. I first became interested when I learned that most off shore operators do not send samples, but as I leared more about how fast air quality can change - I lost interest. Now I want to see inline monitors and double check with my own in case those are not calibrated correctly.

As far as divers not checking their Nitrox, seen that once in Coz. They said they were diving air computers with Nx as a hedge, but I suggested that was still foolhardy.

In Suprane's post (#152) he shared Memo's comment that the fill op they use sends a monthly sample to Floriday for analysis.
I'm saying that I don't see how I should be reassured by that, since the analysis of a sample sent a week ago says nothing about the CO content of the tank I breath from tomorrow morning.

We were saying the same thing... I didnt explain myself very well the first time

Thank you and everyone else who have done so much homework and research for this thread. I've worried about the whole CO thing and considered looking into monitors before but really just kept putting it off and hadn't done any of the footwork, which you all have done, much to the benefit of the rest of us

I will be staying at the OG later in a few weeks and will check an see If Dive Palancar has installed a CO monitor and will report back if someone has not done it yet.
I wonder if one can be installed that quickly?
It was good of Antonio Novelo, General Manager Dive Palancar, to come onto SB to post on the other thread here. It says the same thing that he'd sent to me and I had reproduced here except I'd taken his name off. He has seemed very cooperative in finding better solutions and seems sincerely interested in installing an Analox inline monitor - first on the island.

We did not get any such cooperation from the Roatan or Maldives Ops in those worse accidents. Neither has ever published any public statements other than some initial promises to do so on the Roatan case which were subsequently deleted from that private forum board.
In Suprane's post (#152) he shared Memo's comment that the fill op they use sends a monthly sample to Floriday for analysis.
I'm saying that I don't see how I should be reassured by that, since the analysis of a sample sent a week ago says nothing about the CO content of the tank I breath from tomorrow morning.
Ah Ok gotcha.
I've seen the operation first-hand and yes, they do partial-pressure blend. All Nitrox tanks are emptied, O2 is loaded from a cascade, and topped off with OCA. I think in Cozumel they have different standards for what makes sense.
They partial pressure tank by tank? Wow! I figured they had two nurse tanks to store blended 32 & 36.

I wonder if one can be installed that quickly? .

I'd wonder if they will go that long buying gas in town rather than runing their own compressor?

They partial pressure tank by tank? Wow! I figured they had two nurse tanks to store blended 32 & 36.

They partial-pressure blend in the scuba tank, I recall in batches of approximately 10-12 at a time. Easy to do, since they always drain them first.

As far as testing goes...

From this fill station, I've once found an EAN36 bottle from them that tested at around 60 or 70% O2. It was also a short-fill, but it was intended as a stage bottle for a dive where a half-fill would have been ok (but EAN60 could have been a problem). The most disturbing thing is that there was an analysis sticker on the tank indicating 36. We ripped the fill-monkey a new orifice.

We also had a batch of air which we tested at 4ppm CO which we rejected. I am unsure of the fill station that these came from. 4ppm is "within spec", but I consider any measurable CO grounds for rejection.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom