car windows???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ffdiver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Ok, this is my first post on here, this might seem like a really dumb question but it has been bothering me for about 3 days now...
without a window punch how could you break a car window or any window for that matter underwater?

A spring punch in the corner of the window is best. But a sharp tip knife in the corner will work most of the time.

Get a “Brass” punch and solder a ring on the top to attach a cord to it.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=621

Watch for a sale. I just picked up 10 for $2.61 eash.

Don’t forget to try the door first. Only takes a second but saves some embarrassment later.

Gary D.

the only problem with the door would be if the windows are up the pressure between the car and the surrounding water wouldn't allow you to open the door would it not??? this is all on assumption and not actual practice, and with the sharp tip knife would you be able to get enough energy and speed underwater to break the window?

Once the vehicle is flooded the PSI equalizes and the doors will open and close unless crash damage jams them. It doesn't take much damage but a lot of our vehicles go in with little if any damage.

The sharp knife tip isn't the best but will work in some cases. It just takes a tap in the corners of the glass. If you hit the middle you can beat on it all day long and not crack it. This will not work on the windshield so don't even try.

Also, welcome to the dark side. Are you on a team?

Gary D.

even without equal pressure....if you had one of those spring punch device that is used to put a dent in metal before you drill.....one of those bad boys will take out a window no matter the water level

RICHinNC:
even without equal pressure....if you had one of those spring punch device that is used to put a dent in metal before you drill.....one of those bad boys will take out a window no matter the water level
OH YEA! It's cool to watch the shatter underwater. Just remember to hit the corners.

Once it shatters try and pull the glass fragments outwards. It can help preserve evidence and not cover a body/victim with little pieces of glass.

Gary D.

RICHinNC:

Very true!

A metal center punch will last a lifetime and easily cause any tempered window to explode on contact, be it on a edge or in the center of the window...

Without a tool, kicking it is your best bet but the problem is, that kind of exertion uses up your air exponentially....major problem if you are the one trapped.

scubafire:
Without a tool, kicking it is your best bet but the problem is, that kind of exertion uses up your air exponentially....major problem if you are the one trapped.
Trying to kick out a window underwater is like trying to fly by flapping your arms.

Gary D.

Yeah I've been on my team for 3 years...its just one of those senerios that have been bothering me for the past couple of days, normally on dry land a good strike with a halagan would take out almost any window, but under water you lose any ability to swing a tool, so what I pretty much got out of this is to carry a window punch on my gear aways.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom