Question Spool unwinding

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

On my last trip to Cozumel the dive masters spool came unclipped and fell. Luckily over a sandy bottom. I forgot to ask him how it happened but a good lesson in it can and does happen.

The direction you put the double ended bolt snap through the spool makes a big difference. Do the opposite of what you've been doing and your problems will solved.
Actually it seems to work better that way.

In addition to the other suggestions, I pull off ~20' of line, wrap velcro around the spooled line, than wrap the 20' back on top of the velcro. I've only used my marker at the safety stop.

In addition to the other suggestions, I pull off ~20' of line, wrap velcro around the spooled line, than wrap the 20' back on top of the velcro. I've only used my marker at the safety stop.
To clarify, the spool is connected to your SMB, so this Velcro wrap effectively shortens the string to 20ft/6m with the option of unwrapping the spool for more?

It seems like a lot of over-engineering.
Hard to say from the picture, but it seems like the double ender doesn't go through the loop in the line, and that the line is just loosely running through the eye of the double ender. How do you make sure the line is tight and secure?

Hard to say from the picture, but it seems like the double ender doesn't go through the loop in the line, and that the line is just loosely running through the eye of the double ender. How do you make sure the line is tight and secure?

The attached smb prevents it from becoming too loose and it’s all in a pocket.

If it’s just a spool I just clip double ender through the loop and then clip it to a hole.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom