Car rental in Cancun

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wedivebc

CCR Instructor Trainer
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
We are making a trip to Playa Del Carmen in January. We are thinking about renting a car from the airport for the 2 weeks.
I am look for advice on who has good rates? What insurance should I buy? What can I expect to pay? Is a jeep wrangler suitable for 3 divers and gear?
Any input appreciated.

Hi Dave,

I've had very good luck with Easy Way car rental. We usually rent a VW Pointer Station Wagon, which has plenty of room for 3 divers and gear. The quoted prices include insurance (which you do need). And do watch out for the left turns off the highway (different rules) and the gas stations (attendants will switch bills on you).

When we have lots more divers, we rent the big vans, but they are very expensive.

Have a great trip!

Easy Way Car Rental

second the switching bills thing, I think I was caught by that one

That's surprising about the gas thing - I have never had that happen to me, although most of the time that I have spent in the Yucatan has been less touristy places. As well, I tend to make it abundantly clear that I speak fluent Spanish (much to their surprise).

We rented from Thrifty, I believe, @ the airport. They were relatively inexpensive. Additionally, if you have a VISA credit card, check the benefits of the car and/or give them a call up. Many offer rental car insurance through them - you just have to make sure that it will cover a vehicle in Mexico. Mine did. The people at the rental desk, however, will give you a run around about you needing to pay for the damage up front and get reimbursement from your credit card company. I have actually never checked this out with the credit card company, although I wouldn't believe it as it is probably in the Visa terms and agreements with the merchant (which, in this case, would be the rental car company). Something to consider though since rental insurance can be VERY costly.

sarita75:
That's surprising about the gas thing - I have never had that happen to me, although most of the time that I have spent in the Yucatan has been less touristy places. As well, I tend to make it abundantly clear that I speak fluent Spanish (much to their surprise).

We rented from Thrifty, I believe, @ the airport. They were relatively inexpensive. Additionally, if you have a VISA credit card, check the benefits of the car and/or give them a call up. Many offer rental car insurance through them - you just have to make sure that it will cover a vehicle in Mexico. Mine did. The people at the rental desk, however, will give you a run around about you needing to pay for the damage up front and get reimbursement from your credit card company. I have actually never checked this out with the credit card company, although I wouldn't believe it as it is probably in the Visa terms and agreements with the merchant (which, in this case, would be the rental car company). Something to consider though since rental insurance can be VERY costly.

Good advice, but I thought I should pass on a few of the more painful lessons we've learned over the years. The Biggest was that your credit card insurance will only cover you if you rent a "CAR". If you rent a van, mini-van, jeep or SUV to haul all of that dive gear, then you're SOL.

I have had "issues" with both Thrifty and National at the Cancun airports. This has included the reserved vehicles not being available (a pain in the butt when you have 12 divers with gear and no VANS to rent), price switching (which took 9 months to get refunded), and additional bogus charges to my credit cards after leaving Mexico.

We now try to use the rental agencies that are not actually at the Airport, which saves you the airport tax.

YMMV of course, and lots of people have had good luck with both Thrifty and National.

boydski:
Good advice, but I thought I should pass on a few of the more painful lessons we've learned over the years. The Biggest was that your credit card insurance will only cover you if you rent a "CAR". If you rent a van, mini-van, jeep or SUV to haul all of that dive gear, then you're SOL.

Good to know re: distinction between "car" and van/mini/jeep, etc. I actually would not have even realized or thought of that.

BTW - Beautiful photos Boyd.

boydski:
We now try to use the rental agencies that are not actually at the Airport, which saves you the airport tax.

YMMV of course, and lots of people have had good luck with both Thrifty and National.
So how do you get to Easy way from the airport, do they send a car? Did Bernadette set that up for you?
Looks like we will be 4 meg divers now so we'll probabably need something bigger than a pointer wagon or do you think that will still work. I like the look of the pointer, wish they had them up here.

wedivebc:
So how do you get to Easy way from the airport, do they send a car? Did Bernadette set that up for you?
Looks like we will be 4 meg divers now so we'll probabably need something bigger than a pointer wagon or do you think that will still work. I like the look of the pointer, wish they had them up here.

Hi Dave,

No Bernie did not set that up for me, but probably would if asked. If you make a reservation with easy way (via email), they'll meet you at the airport (a sign with your name on it once you completely exit the airport building) and will take you to the yard with the cars. Do be careful to find the guy that has your NAME on the paper he's holding. One of the Cancun scams is that if you ask one of the MANY people waiting for you outside the airport if they are with "xyz car rental", they'll say yes and hustle you off to their yard... :11:

Four divers with gear in the pointer might be tight if you are hauling all of your gear yourselves? If Bernie or one of the guides is going with you, then they will usually haul the tanks and extra gear in the back of their pickup. For us, the pickup is full of doubles, so is necessary. Your Megs are a lot smaller, but I'm not sure if you want to cram four of them in the back of a small station wagon? The mini-van might work better...

Thanks for the input everyone. I will post here when I get back and let you know how it went.

boydski:
If Bernie or one of the guides is going with you, then they will usually haul the tanks and extra gear in the back of their pickup.
Guides, we don't need no steeenking guides!
We put a lot of effort and money to ensure our freedom:D :D

my understanding is that while Visa/MC covers the damages you will be out of luck in an actual accident. Mexican police will keep you until you pay the damages unless you carry local insurance bought from the car rental company. since i read the thread about this i am buying insurance from thrifty.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom