Car rental in Cancun

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

docmartin:
my understanding is that while Visa/MC covers the damages you will be out of luck in an actual accident. Mexican police will keep you until you pay the damages unless you carry local insurance bought from the car rental company. since i read the thread about this i am buying insurance from thrifty.

That's absolutely true on the insurance. Credit Card, personal statesside and ANY online travel car insurance won't work in Mexico. You will have to pay up before you leave and settle with insurance later. Even tho the LDW is expensive, it's well worth it!

Second, another thing to watch for at the gas pump, is make sure they clear the prior amount on the pump before telling them to just "fill it up"!!!

Just a follow up. Boydski's recommendation was on the money. Easyway was very responsive to my email questions. There was a van waiting for us at the airport and everything went well. There was a small mechanical problem with the car the following morning it would not start because a wire on the battery was loose. We fixed it and we told them about it when we returned. They gave us a discount off our bill. All was good and a great vacation was had by all.
I only feel sorry for the poor little VW Pointer at one time had 4 big guys with dive gear.
Watch out for gas pump scams. The Pemex at the Tulum Coba intersection tried to pull the pump without zeroing the meter swindle but I caught him in the act and he looked sheepish and zeroed the pump.
Thanks for the replies everyone.

Very nice price on the Pointer: 6 days: $126 US, $138 with taxes. In the US, taxes and fees can be outrageous add-ons. Hehe, we both handle standard shift cars fine, but I got to wonder about the city people who don't - and end up on those?

Looks like the two Insurance add-ons to take would be...
> Additional Liability Insurance (ALI): 66.00
> Collision Damage Waiver (CDW): 90.00
Sound right...? $310 total

Much better than trying to hire carriage from Cancun to Tulum, to Cenotes, to Holbox, to Cancun. :wink:

Looks like the two Insurance add-ons to take would be...
> Additional Liability Insurance (ALI): 66.00
> Collision Damage Waiver (CDW): 90.00
Sound right...? $310 total

Much better than trying to hire carriage from Cancun to Tulum, to Cenotes, to Holbox, to Cancun. :wink:

yep, and those pointers can take a lickin' after missing a speed bump sign and hitting one of the little darlings at 30k with 4 guys and full cave gear in the back. The friends following us head the screech of tires and saw the sparks.

Dave,

Too late for your trip but, CRAC has the best rates with full insurance that I have found. Here is the link, Cancun Rent a Car | Cancun Airport Car Rental | Rent a Car in Cancun. The topes do add a bit of local flavor to driving in Mexico.
Not too late for me. Fiat Panda Mini-Suv - 6 or 7 days, $300 including more insurance than I figured above. I wonder if it is as large as the VW...?

I know pickups and I know Mid and Full size rentals, everything else is new to me....?

Don,

I am glad it helped! I got the link from Can-Do Maps and travel guides. GREAT maps that are up to date, accurate and comprehensive. I have used them for 7 years and they are pure gold! I can not tell you how much money those maps have save me.

What I really liked about CRAC was that there was no question about your car or insurance coverage. That is a big change from the way a lot of car rental agencies do business in Mexico. BTW, CRAC's prices beat the agency I used to use by 33%. Great way to do business and I will try them out in May.

Oh, yeah - that couple is great with their maps. I've used the one for Cozumel. I emailed them to ask which to order that would cover Cancun to PDC to Tulum to Holbox; haven't heard back from them yet.

I'll probly go with Riviera Maya, as they probly don't cover Holbox anyway...

Hi Don,

If you want to go to Holbox in style try this group, Aerosaab the best way to enjoy the mayan world!. We used them for a trip to CI, the only way to see the ruins!

Regarding the maps, the Riviera Maya map runs from the airport south to Tulum. It excludes the PDC area which has a separate map. The Yucatan map MAY cover Holbox. I know that it goes up to Rio Lagartos but I am unsure about points east of there.

Hi Don,

If you want to go to Holbox in style try this group, Aerosaab the best way to enjoy the mayan world!. We used them for a trip to CI, the only way to see the ruins!
Looks like a fun option for some, altho "in style" is not my priority. Not only do I have cheaper tastes than the $278 day trip, I'd really kinda like to drive up thru the area, looking around, shooting pics, etc - then stay 3 nights for 2 days of whale shark snorkeling around July or August. This was part of a tour I booked for last summer, but failed with hurricane Dean not veering off its original path as I'd hoped.
Regarding the maps, the Riviera Maya map runs from the airport south to Tulum. It excludes the PDC area which has a separate map. The Yucatan map MAY cover Holbox. I know that it goes up to Rio Lagartos but I am unsure about points east of there.
Looks like they don't offer a Yucatan map anymore among the 7 listed. Also see they finally gave up on the honor system, but then I preferred to pay when I ordered anyway.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom