Car rental in Cancun

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Try tomsscuba.com - Tom's Dive and Swim, in Austin. They may have a couple of copies left. Great shop and worth a shout.

Edit:

I think that is wrong, the place I saw it was Mapsco in Austin, (512) 302-9036.

You may want to check out DAN Trip Insurance. When purchasing a policy, you can add an Optional Primary Collision Damage Waiver for $11 per car per day with no deductible.

"You may want to check out DAN Trip Insurance. When purchasing a policy, you can add an Optional Primary Collision Damage Waiver for $11 per car per day with no deductible."

That won't work in Mexico

"You may want to check out DAN Trip Insurance. When purchasing a policy, you can add an Optional Primary Collision Damage Waiver for $11 per car per day with no deductible."
That won't work in Mexico
Oh? Would you explain, please? I was wondering if, in a wreck happened, would you be sitting in jail until DAN pays, while with the car insurance from a local rental agency there'd be less delay...? :confused:

Or is there something else there...??

When leaving the airport watch out the the police Extortion road block. This stop is right outside the airport and the police know that you are American and have money since you just arrived.

they pulled my car over last month for not having our seat belts on in the BACK seat. Which is not illegal. The truck in front of us had 2 people sitting in the truck bed, but I get pulled over for no seat belts B.S.

Oh? Would you explain, please? I was wondering if, in a wreck happened, would you be sitting in jail until DAN pays, while with the car insurance from a local rental agency there'd be less delay...? :confused:

Or is there something else there...??

No externally puchased LDW or CDW coverage will work in Mexico. If you rent a car in Mexico and have an accident in Mexico and are found at fault and don't have insurance puchased in Mexico you have to pay all accident costs before leaving.

No externally puchased LDW or CDW coverage will work in Mexico. If you rent a car in Mexico and have an accident in Mexico and are found at fault and don't have insurance puchased in Mexico you have to pay all accident costs before leaving.
That's what I feared that you meant, and I'm not surprised...

Oh, yeah - that couple is great with their maps. I've used the one for Cozumel. I emailed them to ask which to order that would cover Cancun to PDC to Tulum to Holbox; haven't heard back from them yet.

I'll probly go with Riviera Maya, as they probly don't cover Holbox anyway...

We recently got the Rivera Maya Map. It seems a little out of date. Maybe 2005. Taxis rates and hotel rates have gone up. But still a good bit of help. I think they are working on a updated one. Kinda wish we had waited since we are just getting to know the area and will probably want another newer one. Will be using it again in April.

We recently got the Rivera Maya Map. It seems a little out of date. Maybe 2005. Taxis rates and hotel rates have gone up. But still a good bit of help. I think they are working on a updated one. Kinda wish we had waited since we are just getting to know the area and will probably want another newer one. Will be using it again in April.

The 2005 map will workout ok. While the area is changing a lot, most of the info will be accurate. There will be some changes in the Puerto Morelos area due to Wilma and Tulum is growing very rapidly (that's the site chosen for a new airport to relieve pressure off CUN). Restaurants in PDC are constantly changing as well as major retail centers opening. For questions about specific places/services, I have found that the forum at Playa del Carmen, Mexico's Virtual Guide Book : Playa.Info is excellent.

The real value in the map are the links and the kilometer markers on 307. I wish that they would expand the coverage into areas that the locals frequent in places like Pueblo Akumal and Tulum.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom