Car Rental for Riviera Maya??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I may have talked myself out of renting... I checked orbitz.com and the cheapest I could get a 5-passenger mid-size car for 7 days was $222 plus taxes. A manual stick-shift saved me $40 over an automatic. That still comes to $39.82 per day (with 10% tax and 14% location fee). Then insurance adds quite a bit. Hertz wanted $18 per day with a 10% deductible, $25 per day with no deductible.

I could probably get a smaller car for less, but we are 4 adults with a weeks worth of luggage plus all my dive gear.

Since I know a taxi costs me $40 to get into PDC and back from my condo I might justify the rental if I didn't have to pay for the insurance. My auto insurance won't cover me in Mexico.

Taxis are almost always available, ready to take us wherever we want to go, so unless I find a cheaper solution that's what I think I'll do.

Thanks,

Jerry

Jerry - if you are 20 mins Nth of PDC that puts you in Puerto Morelos and I guess your TS is at MPalace so the closest car rental office to you is in the Pemex station at Puerto Morelos only 5 mins from you where there is an Executive car rental office. There is also a Thrifty pick up point in Mama's bakery in Puerto Morelos.

Of course it depends where you intend to do most diving but the dive shops here would look after gear during your stay so you wouldn't have to take it back and forwards if that helps you

catbrown:
Jerry - if you are 20 mins Nth of PDC that puts you in Puerto Morelos and I guess your TS is at MPalace so the closest car rental office to you is in the Pemex station at Puerto Morelos only 5 mins from you where there is an Executive car rental office. There is also a Thrifty pick up point in Mama's bakery in Puerto Morelos.
You guessed correctly. So I'll do some more research. Perhaps it would be cheaper to taxi from the airport to the TS, then go pick up the car rental. Because I won't be hauling luggage I can afford a smaller car. I can also shave a couple of days off the rental period as I won't be using it to travel to/from the airport.

Jerry

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom