Car Rental for Riviera Maya??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

geraldp

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
We're heading back to Riviera Maya in October and I was wondering about renting a car. We didn't in February when we were there, and it cost us a small fortune in taxi costs. We heard a horror story from a young couple who were pulled over one night for "speeding". The cop was drunk and demanded 500 pesos or they would go to jail. They had no choice but to pay. Other reports I've heard (actually from a guidebook) is that the local police usually leave you alone unless you're driving at night.

So what recommendations do you guys have? If you do rent how much extra insurance do you carry?

Thanks,

Jerry

geraldp:
We're heading back to Riviera Maya in October and I was wondering about renting a car. We didn't in February when we were there, and it cost us a small fortune in taxi costs. We heard a horror story from a young couple who were pulled over one night for "speeding". The cop was drunk and demanded 500 pesos or they would go to jail. They had no choice but to pay. Other reports I've heard (actually from a guidebook) is that the local police usually leave you alone unless you're driving at night.

So what recommendations do you guys have? If you do rent how much extra insurance do you carry?

Thanks,

Jerry

Hello Jerry:

I think you should search and then post this question in http://playa.info/playa-forum/ I've been doing some research using that forum for my visit to PDC and its been very helpful.

hope that helps

We advise our divers to get a rental car from a reputable company here like Executive, Thrifty. People all have different insurance needs but would advise purchasing the insurances they offer.

Take the rental company sticker OFF the car, then you are less of a moving target, check with the rental company if they charge for the sticker. Avoid leaving goods in the car unattended.

The cops may stop you at any time of the day or night but if you are in the right you may be able to talk your way out especially if you start writing down their name and serial number.

I rented a car from one of the major firms in Playa- a VW bug onvertible (probably older than I am) for about $20 US a day. Drove to Tulum, and then to Coba- which is a good drive from Playa. Didn't have any trouble.

Just got back from trip to Tulum area--rented a car from Hertz. Had no problems other than when we gassed up. Got ripped off for 50 paso's. It is not any cheaper than cabs for us after you pay for the insurance (a good idea in Mexico since your car policy won't cover you). We stayed at a great hotel (Club Maeva) with a good dive shop there. Really didn't get that much use out of the car. the diving was great in that area.

gregpsych:
Just got back from trip to Tulum area--rented a car from Hertz. Had no problems other than when we gassed up. Got ripped off for 50 paso's. It is not any cheaper than cabs for us after you pay for the insurance (a good idea in Mexico since your car policy won't cover you). We stayed at a great hotel (Club Maeva) with a good dive shop there. Really didn't get that much use out of the car. the diving was great in that area.
Hmmm... My T.S. condo is 20 minutes North of PDC, and about 30 minutes South of the airport. We went into PDC at least once or twice a day (at 170 pesos each way plus tip). This time we wanted to go to Chicken Itza (sp), but were wondering if a charter tour up there might be better (more relaxing and informative) than driving ourselves. I usually rent through Hertz for work, so I'll give them a call and find out about their rates. Thanks for the heads up on getting gas.

Thanks everybody for the posts.

Jerry

catbrown:
The cops may stop you at any time of the day or night but if you are in the right you may be able to talk your way out especially if you start writing down their name and serial number.

I would add to that, that on any event (whether you are on the right or wrong), you insist on having your ticket issued. An insistent claim on having your ticket is often enough to put them off and let you continue your way...

--Itziar

hello:
I've rented from avis and never had a problem. i also got the mexican insurance for the coverage and the peace of mind it gives. i've had no problem driving at night but was on the main highway. I have driven as far as xcalak 3 times and never had a problem with the cops. enjoy your trip.
good diving
jimmy

I have been renting cars in Mexico for over 10 years and personally never had a problem. We rent in Cancun and drive down the main highway south to say Tulum and north. Most of the travel is during the daylight hours but we have been known to be delayed after enjoying some cold beverages. I have heard an occasional report of being pulled over by crooked police but that is a rare occasion. In fact, the government is interested in hearing about these corrupt cops. Write down the time & date of the incident, description of the officer(s), and any markings on the vehicle. Pull over into a public place that is highly visible like a shopping mall parking lot. They are less likely to ask for a bribe if they feel they are being watched or could get caught. But don't let an occasional bad apple scare you into not renting.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom