Car Rental Advice for Playa?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dive&Ski

Reaction score
After reading about all the diving to be done in Playa and Coz, my wife and I decided we're going to try it all. We going down there at the end of Jan, staying 7 nights in Playa at a resort a few miles out of town. We'll dive the cenotes, the Playa reefs, and do some land-based sightseeing. Then we're going to Coz for 3 additional days of just diving.

The advice I'm seeking revolves around the rental car. We have a pretty ambitious itinerary, so we definitely need some wheels. We're flying into Cancun and will need transportation to Playa. I don't think we'll need the rental car in Coz. Is there a good car rental company in Playa or should we just rent at the airport in Cancun? If we rent at the airport, we'll either need to drop the car in Playa before we get on the ferry, or return it in Cancun the night before and then get a ride back to Playa? Since car rentals are relatively cheap, the other idea I had was to just rent it for the entire 11 days and park it somewhere safe in Playa while we're on Coz. This sounds reasonable, but would it work? Does a safe place like this exist? Also, how much extra should I expect to pay for insurance? The national chains won't quote it online so I really have no idea how much it costs. Thanks.

There's lots of car rental places here in Playa - I've used Happy Car Rental (10 ave at about 16 st) a number of times in the past. Depending on the season (the prices fluctuate a lot come high season) you'll probably be looking anywhere from $80 to 120 USD per day, insurance included. Not sure what the weekly rate is offhand, but I could check for you (of course also depends on what kind of car you want).
Getting from the airport to Playa is the most expensive part of traveling here - it will cost you half as much to get a taxi TO the airport as FROM the airport. Grayline is the official transportation company out of the airport, you can prebook with them online (link from the Cancun airport website - Cancun International Airport - their shuttle is the cheapest way to go unless you want to head straight into Cancun and then take the local bus into Playa (but it doesn't stop at resorts).
A private taxi from the airport will run you around $85 USD to Playa and vicinity. From Playa back to airport will be around $40-$45 USD.
There's a couple of new parking garages in Playa that would be relatively safe to leave your car at - you can't take the car to Cozumel on the regular ferry - but I'm not sure I would do it. (I live in Playa).

Go the Can-Do Maps and travel guides. They have a great section under "Travel Tips" with all the car rental agencies and web addresses. We have used Executive, Alamo and Cancun Rent a Car without any problems. There have been some problems reported on Playa del Carmen, Mexico's Virtual Guide Book : Playa.Info regarding CRAC recently (another great place to ask your question btw).

If this is you first trip to the area be sure to get the maps that Laura and Perry have put together for all the areas you will be visiting. They are worth their weight in gold and will save you tons of time and money. Without a doubt the best dollars you will spend on your vacation.

I have just booked another car with easyway in Cancun for our upcoming trip. They pick you up at the airport and drop you off. I am paying $35 perday for a VW Pointer wagon including insurance. I rented from them last year as well. I was quite happy with the service. I learned about them from a post on scubaboard.

GET TRANSPORT FROM THE AIRPORT TO YOUR HOTEL SOME HOTELS CAN ARRANGE THAT FOR YOU. OR YOU MAY IF YOU WISH EMAIL IVAN AT transportes_limbania5@hotmail.com HE TAKES CARE OF SEVERAL DIVESHOPS TRANSPORTATIONS FOR OUR COZ. AND CAVERN TRIPS, VERY RELIABLE.SOME OF OUR DIVERS HIRE HIM FOR ARCHEOLOGICAL SITE TOURS ETC.
CHOOSE A DIVE SHOP IN PLAYA AND LET THEM TAKE CARE OF ALL YOUR DIVING, CAVERNS, COZUMEL, AND PLAYA DIVING, MOST LIKELY THEY WILL HAVE TRANSPORTATION FOR YOU, CHECK OUR DENNIS AT AQUANAUTS, SOME OF MY DIVERS HAVE DOVE WITH THEM RECENTLY AND CAME BACK WITH GREAT COMMENTS ON DENNIS AND HIS OP.
ABOUT CAR RENTAL I DO NOT KNOW MUCH BUT WHAT I CAN RECOMMEND IS WATCH OUT WHEN YOU ARRIVE @ AIRPORT AND YOU SEE DISCOUTED ALMOST FREE PROMOTIONS ON CARS UNLESS YOU WANT TO RENT A REALLY CHEAP CAR AND BUY TIMESHARE.
I HOPE THIS WAS USEFUL

Lesson learned from my last playa trip. Had a car set up at airport, got there, and I didn't have a CC with 2k available on it....so no car :( . Had 3k cash, but that was for expenses and such (including the car for the week). Just something to remember. I ended up renting from friends who had a contact in Playa.

Car rentals look cheap when you look them up on line. Then you get there, and they add all the fees and the mandatory insurance, and it just about doubles the cost, so plan on that.

Non-rental-car land transportation from Cancun to Playa will cost you a day's car rental, unless you use the colectivos, which if you are not familiar with the area, you probably wouldn't want to do.

You can arrange a rental car pickup in one place and dropoff in another; there is an additional charge for doing this. You just have to find out whether that costs you more than parking the car while you're on Cozumel.

Have fun with your trip!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom