Captain John's

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Was good to dive with you yesterday. I guess I had a brain fart, I didn't put two and two together in regards to your screen name until this morning.

DW

Last edited:
It was nice to meet you yesterday as well. I have enjoyed reading your post and reports so it was good to meet the diver behind the posts. Hopefully our paths will continue to cross.

Off topic a bit but if anyone goes down this next weekend you might find one of my two fins dropped off near the platform floating on the surface. Lost it after the dive, I am not sure what happened. I think the spring strap must have slipped off my heal, I can't imagine it failing but who knows. Any rate I lost it yesterday evening. I didn't have time to try and go back and get it. it was near six and I was low on air. ho hum.. it is a 3xl turtle fin a whole three dives old with an xs spring strap on it. and no it don't have my name. it was quite new and I hadn't gotten around to it. bummer...

At any rate if anyone fines it I would appreciate it. thanks.

Found: One (1) each, 3xl Turtle looking for a good home.
Ransom: Fresh roasted dark roast coffee.
Instructions: Meet at Oronogo some weekend soon for an exchange.

:D
Michael
:coffee:

Off topic a bit but if anyone goes down this next weekend you might find one of my two fins dropped off near the platform floating on the surface. Lost it after the dive, I am not sure what happened. I think the spring strap must have slipped off my heal, I can't imagine it failing but who knows. Any rate I lost it yesterday evening. I didn't have time to try and go back and get it. it was near six and I was low on air. ho hum.. it is a 3xl turtle fin a whole three dives old with an xs spring strap on it. and no it don't have my name. it was quite new and I hadn't gotten around to it. bummer...

At any rate if anyone fines it I would appreciate it. thanks.

Hey, DW, thanks for the awesome dives this weekend. I'll look forward to doing it again real soon.

Michael

freaking wonderful!!!!!!!! :)

you da' man!

I have a dive trip coming up in august to the great lakes , definatly dry suit wether and I was going to have to use my AL Blades, they fit so poorly over my rock boots that I have considered duct tape :)

now I am very cureious about what depth it was hanging out at?

how about some nice slow dried etheopiean coffee? it really is one of the best coffees. I roast it in an air bed roaster and it comes out beautiful. a nice french roast, or perhaps a vieana. ransom happly paid!

Well I have to leave out on a business trip today and won't be back until Sunday. How about one of the two weekends after that, July 19 or July 26?

Found: One (1) each, 3xl Turtle looking for a good home.
Ransom: Fresh roasted dark roast coffee.
Instructions: Meet at Oronogo some weekend soon for an exchange.

:D
Michael
:coffee:

Hi everybody- I am new to diving and getting OW cert. this weekend, 7/11from Cap'n John and Regina. Reading thru the post about "concerns" with the facilities there. I live about 20 min. from Oronogo, in Pittsburg, Ks, which is also about 25-30 mins. from Joplin. I first heard of/stepped foot at Cap'n J, about a month ago so that my brother (who's gotten me into diving) could fill his air tank, since he just moved here from baltimore. At that time I wasn't planning on starting lessons, but after looking at the quarry, it really started to peak my intrest. However, at first glance I was a little skeptical myself about the place. Just not real fancy. Like the places I knew of in Joplin. That same day we went into joplin to check out the shops there, and I decided to take the intro dive at one of the shops there. two weeks later, I took the intro dive, it was awesome, but the people there were nice but seemed very pushy to make the sale, to the point I thought I was buying a used car. And all their prices were outrageous, at least to me. I declined the offer for lessons there mostly for the cost. My brother mentioned going back to Johns to see if they did lessons and I reitterated my first impressions to him, but he said lets just go talk to them. Without making a short story longer, after talking to them and asking questions, I realized they new what they were doing, they love doing it, and have been doing it for quite some time. And it totally changed my mind about them, and they can offer the same equipement to me for $1000 less than the other place and still keep me safe. I would reccomend them to anyone! Not just cuz they are cheaper, but they are professional, and yet down to earth people. You know the ol' saying "don't judge a book by it's cover". The same holds true to Captain Johns. That's my 2 cents worth.

That being said, it would be great to meet some of you all there next time you go!

Kyzzle

Who in his right mind could pass up some Ethiopian coffee?!?!? That's some good stuff! I'm looking at the 19th, but the 26th might work just as well. Just say When.

Michael

freaking wonderful!!!!!!!! :)

you da' man!

I have a dive trip coming up in august to the great lakes , definatly dry suit wether and I was going to have to use my AL Blades, they fit so poorly over my rock boots that I have considered duct tape :)

now I am very cureious about what depth it was hanging out at?

how about some nice slow dried etheopiean coffee? it really is one of the best coffees. I roast it in an air bed roaster and it comes out beautiful. a nice french roast, or perhaps a vieana. ransom happly paid!

Well I have to leave out on a business trip today and won't be back until Sunday. How about one of the two weekends after that, July 19 or July 26?

Hi everybody- I am new to diving and getting OW cert. this weekend, 7/11from Cap'n John and Regina. Reading thru the post about "concerns" with the facilities there. I live about 20 min. from Oronogo, in Pittsburg, Ks, which is also about 25-30 mins. from Joplin. I first heard of/stepped foot at Cap'n J, about a month ago so that my brother (who's gotten me into diving) could fill his air tank, since he just moved here from baltimore. At that time I wasn't planning on starting lessons, but after looking at the quarry, it really started to peak my intrest. However, at first glance I was a little skeptical myself about the place. Just not real fancy. Like the places I knew of in Joplin. That same day we went into joplin to check out the shops there, and I decided to take the intro dive at one of the shops there. two weeks later, I took the intro dive, it was awesome, but the people there were nice but seemed very pushy to make the sale, to the point I thought I was buying a used car. And all their prices were outrageous, at least to me. I declined the offer for lessons there mostly for the cost. My brother mentioned going back to Johns to see if they did lessons and I reitterated my first impressions to him, but he said lets just go talk to them. Without making a short story longer, after talking to them and asking questions, I realized they new what they were doing, they love doing it, and have been doing it for quite some time. And it totally changed my mind about them, and they can offer the same equipement to me for $1000 less than the other place and still keep me safe. I would reccomend them to anyone! Not just cuz they are cheaper, but they are professional, and yet down to earth people. You know the ol' saying "don't judge a book by it's cover". The same holds true to Captain Johns. That's my 2 cents worth.

That being said, it would be great to meet some of you all there next time you go!

Kyzzle

The facilities at Captain John's are not fancy but the diving is good, the service is good, and the prices are reasonable. Since starting this thread I have had the chance to dive at Oronogo and I am looking forward to getting back down soon.

I started another thread "Oronogo July 26-27" to see who's interested. A buddy and I will be there that weekend. It's a great place to dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom