Captain John's

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jaxjags64109

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Has anyone been to Oronogo yet this year and if so anything to report? I have never dived this spot and my LDS warns about the facilities but I am intrigued by how close this sight is to me and intend to give it a shot around late June. Unless of course i am convinced that I should stick to Table Rock. I do not have a boat and need to be able to enter from shore. Any information appreciated the website is rarely updated.

Kyle

It's a big place. Some friends were there a couple of weeks back and they reported 56F surface, 48F at depth..should be warmer now. Vis at the time ranged from 5ft at the surface to 20ft at 80ft. With the continuous rains it's probably not any better. You should definitely go, especially since you are close.

I dive Oronogo quite a bit. Vis is pretty much as described, it just depends on what part of thw quarry you are diving. The only place you will notice any changes in the water temps is in the first 20'. It is spring fed, and the temps stay pretty much the same year round at depth.

Still a good place to dive, and lots of things to see. I plan on being there this weekend, and probably the next weekend as well. Hope you can make it down soon.

DW

What exactly is your LDS "warning" you about? Never been there but heard lot's of good things about the place. From what I understand that is that you can do deep dives and there are some caverns that you should not go in. But, from what I've heard a lot of good things as long as you don't do some stupid things like trying to enter the caverns.

I hope to make it down there this year some time.

S. Nagel

If you have O2 clean tanks, then you will want to get your fills from the Nitrox side so that you do not screw up your cleaning. I have noticed an improvement in the air since a year or so ago, but I would still get if from the Nitrox side. Other than that, the place is great in my opinion.

DW

I appreciate the information. My LDS made some references to the bathrooms being in bad shape and that the place was generally not well maintained. It is close enough that I will make the trip and make my own judgement. My wife and I are pretty simple people and not that tough to please. We just want to get wet and work on some skills after a long winter. I think we will head down the third week of June, hopefully by then the water will have cleared a little. I appreciate the feedback.

kyle

No problem, and I hope to see you there. I will have to check my work schedule and see what pans out. I will keep you informed, and post a report when I get back this weekend.

DW

So are people planing on showing up down there on the third weekend? Saturday the 21 or Sunday the 22 or both?

I have never been there personally but figured that I should go at some time. I can probably make it down that weekend. Likely a day trip down from Jeff City area, my girlfriend will likely also come. we also are kinda relaxed, our needs aren't much more than some wet water :)

It would be nice to actually meet some people from this board, all of the local diving I have done and I have never met anyone just off of the board of course maybe you all are hiding from me, I am a bit of a hill billy at times :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom