Cape Cod - Dry Suit - Northeast

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Someone mentioned overheating in a neoprene drysuit earlier in this thread I think. You guys find that's the case diving around here in the summer? Or is it just from taking too long to get suited up before getting in the water.

That's one of the reasons I don't use my neoprene dry suit in the summer, over hearting, before, during and after the dive. The only exception is deep dives like the U853 or diving the north shore. Using a neoprene dry suit in 70F water brings no relief from over heating for me any way.

I think the pic is about 10 years old

I received my first invitation to join AARP about a month ago :)

When ball players and cops start looking like High school students to you then you know you're getting old! This year starts my 45th year diving and every cop I see I wonder if their mothers know their out so late! :)

Someone mentioned overheating in a neoprene drysuit earlier in this thread I think. You guys find that's the case diving around here in the summer? Or is it just from taking too long to get suited up before getting in the water.

It can be a "real" problem in the summer late July/August however I don't find it specific to drysuits since it can also be a problem with 7mm or farmer john wetsuits. I see it often on the boat when people get ready too early or are waiting for a dive buddy that is taking ages to gear up.

It can easily be avoided though, make sure your gear / kit is completely setup and sorted before you put your drysuit on. It's typically the last thing I do. I'll wear it partially unless it's raining or cold.

On the boat often times I'll have people just jump in the water to cool down while standing on the ladder once we're anchored. This will cool you down really quickly. Close zipper, stand on dive ladder or if you're shore diving go wade in waist deep water and dunk yourself to cool down. Easy enough.

---------- Post added February 17th, 2015 at 03:23 PM ----------

Any recommendations/thoughts would be appreciated.

Definitely talk to the DUI booth if you're planning to head to Sea Rovers in Boston, March 7-8th. You'll be able to ask many questions and even get properly fitted.

My advice would also be to check out one of the DUI Demo Days. DUI Event Calendar - DUI Online - drysuits The event is 15 bucks and they'll let you test dive as many DUI drysuits as you want with an instructor. You do not need to be drysuit certified or any drysuit experience to attend this event. The Massachusetts event is usually at Stage Fort Park in Gloucester. It looks like it's October 3-4 this year so unfortunately a bit later in the season.

I suffered 8 years using a wetsuit in New England (ok..maybe suffered in not the right word but looking back it certainly felt that way!). I used to dive wet from late April to November; It wasn't so much the water that hurt me but the surface temperatures and wind.

A drysuit will basically allow you to dive year round with the rights undergarments. The key is layering. I tend to dive my drysuit year around; I honestly just prefer it over wetsuit diving up here unless I'm diving shallow and lobstering or shore diving in late July/August/September. I don't exactly have a specific threshold but for dives deeper than 60ft where they'll be good thermocline or I'm planning on doing a longer deeper dive with a 70 minute+ runtime, I'll almost always be in a drysuit.

I've owned 3 drysuits, a USIA Techiflex, DUI TLS350 and my current suit that I primarily use now is a DUI FLX Extreme. I've been happy with all of them. Fit is the key. I do prefer a shell suit over a neoprene suit because it allows you to layer undergarments and better tailor depending on the water temperatures I will be diving in. From what I see, most people in New England use shell drysuits as opposed to neoprene. I don't actually know too many people that dive neoprene drysuits around here with the exception of the DUI CF200 which is kind of a mix of both (crushed neoprene).

My advice for whatever brand drysuit you buy is to get one that has user replaceable seal system or ring system. Wrist and neck seals come in latex and silicone. Each have their own benefits however eventually you be be on a dive where one of your seals inevitably rips or tears while suiting up. It is great to be able to swap these out yourself in a few minutes. A lot of divers carry an extra set of seals in their save a dive kit. If your seals are glued in then you're out of luck and the suit will need to be set back to factory or authorized dive shop for repairs.

DUI, Santi, Bare, Whites all make good quality suits and can have removable seals added depending on the model suit.

EDIT: I also wanted to add that many local dive shops will let you take a drysuit class using their rental suits if you wanted to get certified and try a drysuit before you commit to buying one. A lot of shops will also include a free drysuit course if you buy a new drysuit from them. I know we both at Boston Scuba. Drysuit certification course includes drysuit rental fees and dive charter fees since we do the certification dives off our charter boat. We also offer the drysuit class for free if you purchase a brand new drysuit from us.

Last edited:
Thanks for the post Macado,
Somehow I missed your post.

I've done some cursory price checks on both crushed neoprene and trilam suits. The ones I liked are double my budget CF200S (crushed Neoprene) and TLS350 (trilam). I have to do more research into less expensive options or keep an eye on ebay for used in my size. If I go the used route I'll see if I can find a dive shop that will do a fitting for a fee.

I have to do more research into less expensive options or keep an eye on ebay for used in my size. If I go the used route I'll see if I can find a dive shop that will do a fitting for a fee.

Custom suits are nice especially if you have a less-than-normal body type. Having owned a bunch of DUI suits...and I bought them as a instructor / dealer (discount) they're great, but not the end all. One of my favorite suits was a closeout $400.00 Dacor tri-lam drysuit most likely made by USIA, or BARE? They're light, dry super quick and unless you are penetrating some sharp shipwrecks - the best bang for the buck. I went with a simple zip across the shoulder version. Works great and when I dive solo I find a coat, or car hook and zip myself. The DACOR has none of the fancy diagonal zippers / telescoping gizmos which I had in previous DUI's.

The crushed stuff is tough as nails, heavy, swim slower and when you need to repair something (when wet) you need a blower dryer or something because they take forever to dry. Plus, if you get the rock boots...you have to spend extra time leaning over the boat bench to lace the things when the boat is pitching up and down. I don't get sea sick much - but the damn lacing of the boots almost made me hurl a few times because of the vestibular imbalance.

I also think there is a bit of dry-suit / equipment snobbery out there. Some guys like to show up with their Megs/Hammerhead + DUI Signature suits. At the end of the day what matters most about the drysuit is the ability to keep the water out (warmth) and flexibility. Plus, the requisite diving skills a good diver needs to get the job done vs. looking pretty during a $$$$ extended deep boat trip, or when you stow things post dive in your Mercedes wagon while kissing the trophy wife who comes to pick you up while twirling a nice lock of hair in the sea breeze . That said - I wouldn't mind the trophy wife...just because. :)

I would agree with Mr.X. As long as the suit fits well and is dry, there is not a need to spend a lot of money on it. My first suit was a USIA that I bought used. Unfortunately, my build typically requires a custom cut suit but if you can get away with a stock size, you'll save quite a bit of money.

That being said, I do like my DUI drysuits. DUI also makes a "budget" version of their TLS suit with a backzip called the TLSSE that is responsibly priced. A lot of people feel that backzips last a bit longer because they don't experience same amount of "stress" and wear as front zips. They're also cheaper to replace for what it's worth. The CNSE is similiar to the CF200 but not as thick as the CF material.

Bare also makes some decent tri-laminate drysuits that are reasonably priced.

Thanks Everyone

I think you all armed me with great information. I really had no clue at all about drysuits. I've seen people wearing them but that's about it. I was going to post this in the exposure suits forum originally but wanted the views of people up here in the northeast that really know what Jan Feb weather is like (particularly this year!). Thanks again.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom