Cape Cod - Dry Suit - Northeast

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drunkendiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello,

First post here. I've been diving for 25 years now, but only a couple times of year because of kids, work, etc. I'd like to get in the water more often and I think a dry suit would allow me to get out more in the winter when things tend to slow down. I've never worn a dry suit and was wondering what dry suit everyone is using in the winter in the Northeast. My plan would be to take a dry suit class late spring/early summer and get accustomed to it during warmer weather then use it next winter. Any recommendations/thoughts would be appreciated.

I like neoprene dry suits for the cold winter water here in NE. They are self insulating to some degree so less undergarments are needed, the crushed neoprene suits don't lose buoyancy like wet suits do at depth. In the summer they can be overheating unless you're diving deep. They are also a little more rugged than trimil suits, it takes more to tear or puncture them. They are not as flexible as trimil suits and are a little harder to don and doff.

I'd go to your LDS and try a few on. I originally thought the crushed Neoprene for me for all the reasons that AfterDark mentioned, but after I tried a trilam I preferred it. I have a DUI Norseman (similar to TLS350) and have been in the Atlantic at 39 degrees. True, there's no thermal protection from the cold, but you can layer your underwear as appropriate. The only part of me that was uncomfortably cold was my hands. After a 5 minute safety stop, I literally couldn't move my fingers to let go of the ascent line. I had to use my left hand to pry my right hand free. Several other divers complained about headaches from the cold, but because my skull is so thick and my cranium so empty, that didn't affect me. :D

They do make dry gloves which my suit doesn't have. I'm told the dry gloves make it difficult to put your hand into holes if you're grabbing for lobsters.

It's been ten years since my freeze-dive. I just don't go in the ocean when it gets below 50 (well, maybe 48 or 47 if the air's warm.) Winter air temps aren't that great either, especially on the second dive of the day, although we always have a cooler full of hot water to soak our gloves and hoods in. I'm getting too old and it's just not fun for me anymore. That's what frequent flyer miles are for.

One observation about winter diving in the Atlantic. At least along the NJ shore, the fish life pretty much disappears as the gulf stream moves out in the fall and winter. I guess above the cape, you have different currents so maybe the NE environment is different.

Thanks AfterDark/Industrious,

That's the feed back I was looking for. I'll check out both types. This particular suit would just be for winter dives so I may be biased to the neoprene. I'd use my 7mm for the other half of the year. Industrious, The dive waters (or at least the waters I dive in) are pretty empty up here (no lobster/fish) in the winter. I just like to get out and shed some of this cabin fever in the winter since I live a couple miles from the beach.

I use my DUI TLS 350 year round. You can layer up or down with your undergarments for just about any situation = I've used it in the FL keys with just t-shirt and shorts underneath……at the other extreme I've taken it ice diving. I've had this suit for 11 years this coming May and it has held up well, although I'm on my second zipper, have gone through many sets of seals and have certainly had my share of suit leaks over 11 years (that is par for the course for any 11 year old drysuit). Having moved around quite a bit (Europe and the US), I've dove my TLS in cold lakes in Switzerland and northern Italy, the Mediterranean, the English Channel, various quarries in the UK and used it on hundreds of New England dives……and the TLS worked well in all of these situations. I do have dry gloves on my suit, which i LOVE. For undergarments, I use the Fourth Element Halo 3D….and add additional fleece layers when it's really cold.

My regular buddy bought his TLS 350 at the same time I did and has had the same experience. I would definitely recommend the TLS 350……if doing heavy wreck diving, you might want to consider the crushed neoprene CF 200.

Biggest downside to DUI is the price, since they are at the top end of the drysuit price range.

One suggestion if attending Sea Rovers = DUI is usually there and will let you try on with street clothes right on the display floors. I had mine measured (signature series - semi custom) at Sea Rovers back in 2004.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Thanks Large,

If no other commitments I plan on going to Sea Rovers in March. Never been to one. It's good to hear some feed back on a suit model that's being worn up here. I'll definitely take a look at that model. Looking forward, I think I'll try and rent a few different types at first if possible. Hopefully I'll be able to attend Sea Rovers because it would be great opportunity to try on the suits.

Thanks Large,

If no other commitments I plan on going to Sea Rovers in March. Never been to one. It's good to hear some feed back on a suit model that's being worn up here. I'll definitely take a look at that model. Looking forward, I think I'll try and rent a few different types at first if possible. Hopefully I'll be able to attend Sea Rovers because it would be great opportunity to try on the suits.

I'm not sure renting will be an option unless you have dry suit certification. Were there dry suit certs 25 years ago? I know there wasn't when I bought my 1st dry suit more than 25 years ago. I guess if you know a dive shop owner / operator you'll be all set. That is good idea, actually using them is better than just trying them on mainly because you'll be diving!

I dove a cheap 7mm drysuit for 10 years before moving into an dui clx. More comfortable, yes but if i was in the same situation again i would nit hesitate to buy another "cheap" one again. My recomendation get what you can afford if price is not a factor theres plenty of choices.
Oh yeah btw i first bought a drysuit for local winter diving only, i wore my wetsuit once since then.......that was 12 years ago..

I've had many, many drysuits. And definitely before there were certifications. I also had one of the O'Neill Supersuits too.

The suggestion to talk to reps. at shows is a very good one. And if I had a preference of drysuits for just paddling around (not work, or very rough stuff) I would lean towards a nylon shell suit. They're cheaper, more flexible and dry quickly. Neoprene, crushed neoprene takes forever to dry. And sometimes on the job when the feet get wet - the attached booties stay wet unless I shove newspaper in there. Or reverse the thing inside and out. My crushed CFX suits also weighs a ton. One of my favorite suits is a cheapie tri lam suit which I bought for 400.00 and it has withstood several years of abuse in Alaska. In fact, some of the toughest diving I have done was done in the 400.00 suit. Barnacles, sharp metal etc. Here in the NE I used the CFX because I do penetration work, but zipping in, and moving around to reach rebreather valves with heavy underware gets to be a drag. I think the cheapie tri lam is USIA brand suit. Last bit - I scooter when I can and I like the tri lam for that too. I used a vulcanized rubber suit (Viking and Gates) and man-oh-man are those slow. But, when you get oil and gasoline on yourself they are the best!

Thanks for everyone's response. All good information and what I was looking for. Really appreciated.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom