Cape Cod - Dry Suit - Northeast

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a DUI TLS350 and dive year round with it in Ohio. Coldest temps I've recorded while diving in it was 36. I have the DUI Powerstretch Polartec undies and during the winter months, I layer it with Under Armor Cold Gear. I would look around. If your into wrecks I would lean towards the crushed neoprene suits. They seem to take a beating better but are much more stiffer. The regular neoprene drysuits are warmer but take a lot more weight to sink too.

I started with an OS Systems and moved into a HOG. Brand is an issue where price is concerned. You can get into a suit that will do everything a 3000 dollar suit will do for around 1100. Shell material does make a difference as far as durability but if you're not squeezing through wrecks or caves, and even if you are, it's not that big of a deal either. What counts is fit, the ability to layer undergarments, and your budget. I've had mine under the ice and in 35 degree water for up to an hour. My hands only got cold towards the end and I don't use dry gloves. The XS Scuba dry fives are neoprene wet gloves that keep my hands toasty. Before they started to get worn and some holes in them from wrecks a pair of Pinnacle Merino 5 mil gloves did the job.

Just got to say, I belong to a couple of other forums (boating and outboards) and this is by far the best initial feed back I have received on a forum as a new member. Thanks again.

I use a Scubapro Evertec yearround. Just had silicon seals installed.

A short hi-jack excuse me...you divers that dive dry suits year round don't miss getting wet? The divers on the North Shore I understand I dive dry in the summer there also, but I like it when the water here get warm enough I can use my wet suit and feel the water rush in, then post dive having to towel off, feels like I've been diving.

In haven't dove wet locally since buying my drysuit in 2004

Perhaps it is old age...or perhaps those days of standing in a cool breeze on a rocking boat while wet are seared deeply into my memory ;-)

I dive wet when I can. And yes, it does feel like diving. Heck I would dive a old Parkway, or Harvey's wetsuit with beavertail if they still made one!

Diving dry can be sort of an insulating experience. Sorry for the pun. :)

At least along the NJ shore, the fish life pretty much disappears as the gulf stream moves out in the fall and winter. I guess above the cape, you have different currents so maybe the NE environment is different.

HUH...WHAT....Disappears? Stripers, Sea bass, Tog.....all abundant all winter.

For cold diving I still prefer a crushed neo drysuit. I did just order a trilam so that I will have both options.

Cant go wrong with either.

I dont miss diving wet at all. In fact even when I travel, I miss my drysuit.

In haven't dove wet locally since buying my drysuit in 2004

Perhaps it is old age...or perhaps those days of standing in a cool breeze on a rocking boat while wet are seared deeply into my memory ;-)

Old age? That must be an old picture your avatar that is. I get diving dry up there on the north shore, damn water is cold in July! But when the water is 68-70F in July here in RI I use my wet suit, and yes MrX. I have an old 1/4' Parkway w/ a beavertail that I use when I dive down in NC where the water is warmer. :)

Someone mentioned overheating in a neoprene drysuit earlier in this thread I think. You guys find that's the case diving around here in the summer? Or is it just from taking too long to get suited up before getting in the water.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom