Canyon Lake 10-01-2006

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thinking about a trip to Canyon Lake sometime soon. Do you need a dive flag to dive from North Park or no because they have it marked off by buoys?

Yes use a flag! The bouys only mark the area as a no wake zone not a no boat zone. I usually float mine out from the shore and then tie it off to the platform, do my dive and then retrieve it on the way in. I've had boats pass by in between us and the shore while coming out/in.

I have never dove down there but think my son and I will this week. Is there an underwater map of this area?

Thanks for the info, Jay!

Jay is absolutely correct- take a dive float. Keep an eye & ear out as well, not everyone seems to know what the flag means in terms of distance.

Right now all the other parks around the lake are closed until the Spring. I still think North Park will stay open and Monday through Thursday it is free. On the weekend you have to pay $12 and there has to be a campsite availible for them to assign to you. They probably were full for the Holiday weekend. Comal Park doesn't really have much to see other than a shelf at 30' and another around 70', that's where we do most of our recoveries. People (before the lake was as low as it is now) would wade out from the point at Comal Park to the Island, get too close to the edge and drop to the 30' shelf, sometimes bouncing down to the 70'. Another option at Canyon is Holiday Lodge ; it is on the South side of the lake almost directly across from North Park. You can park by the boat ramp and dive the sunken items there. Here's a Site Map courtesy of Duggan Diving

Btw, does anyone know if they provide air fills onsite at North Park?

Possibly going camping there sometime soon and trying to get ducks in a row.

hydro12:
Btw, does anyone know if they provide air fills onsite at North Park?
No you have to bring tanks, the closest shop is Makai in New Braunfels and The Dive Shop in San Marcos. There is a tube rental place at 13124 FM 306 called Goofy's (830) 964-2222 that is listed as a dive shop I have never been there, don't have any idea if they rent or fill, and the only way you can tell is and old faded dive flag sign. Goofy's is about 4 miles from North Park.

Back
Top Bottom