Canyon Lake 10-01-2006

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jay_SMART_Diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Sunday afternoon I dove Canyon Lake off of North Park. Weather was warm and sunny; outside temp was around 85 degrees. Water temperature was 82 degrees with the thermo cline at 45 feet where the temp dropped to 77 degrees. The visibility was great at 10-15 above the thermo cline and 5-10 feet below. First dive was max depth of 75 feet for 47 minutes. Dove the first platform then down to the trees, back up to the second platform and then West over to the Vespa, car, and second boat; ending back at the first platform. Second dive was max depth of 45 feet total time of 56 minutes. Made the first platform then to the second, headed East/Northeast to the rowboat and coffin then skirted the rocks around the thermo cline (40-45 feet) then moseyed back to the first platform and hung out for some buoyancy control for the two newbie divers. Like I stated the visibility around 30 feet was great you could almost see the second platform from the first and all of the other items well before reaching them. While it’s by no means the Caribbean, Canyon is by far better than Lake Travis right now.

I would have to agree with you on this. We've been taking most of our OW groups up there for just that reason. I dove Travis Sunday and the walk down the hill alone is enough to discourage you. Viz doesn't improve until about 80 feet.

What is the max depth of Canyon Lake as it is now?

Max depth normally is about 125' and the lakes only down maybe 10 feet at most. It's probably the only water hole around here that hasn't taken a big hit with the drought. If you don't know already, if you get past roughly 60' you will probably encounter old submerged trees. The thermocline is about 40-45 feet as Jay said with a silted layer there also to greet you. If you get there during the week you will have some pretty good viz. On the weekend it depends on traffic, but it's still better than Travis.

Wilson:
Max depth normally is about 125' and the lakes only down maybe 10 feet at most. It's probably the only water hole around here that hasn't taken a big hit with the drought. If you don't know already, if you get past roughly 60' you will probably encounter old submerged trees. The thermocline is about 40-45 feet as Jay said with a silted layer there also to greet you. If you get there during the week you will have some pretty good viz. On the weekend it depends on traffic, but it's still better than Travis.

Thank you....I may be there on Sunday before heading back home. :)

??? Say I am in San Marcos and want to go to North Park/Canyon Lake.....what is the best way to get there,,,how far in mileage/time?? THANKS

I go out Ranch Road 12 from San Marcos headed to Wimberly [9.7 miles]. At the Ranch Road 12 Hwy 32 "Junction" (flashing light) stay straight on Hwy 32, go over Devil's Backbone [7 miles], and then turn left on FM 3424. FM 3424 "T's" off into FM 306 [1 mile] turn left and go about 3 miles and turn right on N Park Road About [22 miles total]. It usually takes me about 15-20 minutes to get there from my house.
Another option that may be easier for someone not familiar with the area, you can take FM 306 on the North side of New Braunfels (13 miles from San Marcos) from IH-35 (just past the Wal-Mart distribution center). FM 306 will take you straight out to the lake, about 16 miles to N Park Rd turning left. There is signs for North Park and Jacob's Creek Park, if you get to the marina you've gone too far. See Map
GPS Coord: 29° 52’ 15.13” N 98° 12’ 20.41” W

Jay_SMART_Diver:
I go out Ranch Road 12 from San Marcos headed to Wimberly [9.7 miles]. At the Ranch Road 12 Hwy 32 "Junction" (flashing light) stay straight on Hwy 32, go over Devil's Backbone [7 miles], and then turn left on FM 3424. FM 3424 "T's" off into FM 306 [1 mile] turn left and go about 3 miles and turn right on N Park Road About [22 miles total]. It usually takes me about 15-20 minutes to get there from my house.
Another option that may be easier for someone not familiar with the area, you can take FM 306 on the North side of New Braunfels (13 miles from San Marcos) from IH-35 (just past the Wal-Mart distribution center). FM 306 will take you straight out to the lake, about 16 miles to N Park Rd turning left. There is signs for North Park and Jacob's Creek Park, if you get to the marina you've gone too far. See Map
GPS Coord: 29° 52’ 15.13” N 98° 12’ 20.41” W

Jay... THANKS a bunch for the great directions and map link....really helps!!! :) Alan

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom