Can't dive due to wind in Belize - Suggestions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon:
I got to ask...?

Your boat skipper hit the reef?! :11: He doesn't know where the channels are? :confused:

good lord no, that would have been ridiculus. the boat smacked into a wave the wrong way. the roof cracked where it connected to the hull (forgive me if these are not exact boating terms) all the way from the bow halfway down the side, water came gushing in through the bow where life jackets are stored (and they came out in a hurry) :eek:. i've attached a couple of pictures i took

DandyDon:
Uh, how did that happen? Do hope she sees a local MD Monday. He may have some good ideas about preventing infection.

freak accident really, everyone we tell says "but nurse sharks don't bite!". we had been playing around with the sharks for a while. we then went through a dark tunnel. the sharks followed us into the tunnel. my wife got cold so she had her arms crossed with just her fingers sticking out on the sides. a shark took a bite at her right hand, probably mistaking her fingers for sardines that divers usually feed them. i've included a picture i took as i was exiting the tunnel before she showed me her hand. wasn't sure what the green stuff she was showing me in her hand was blood until she made "shark" and "bite" hand signals. def going to see doctor on Monday. quite easy to get an appt when you say you have been bitten by a shark.

Okay, I guess it could happen even with a good skipper. I don't know enough about boating to say. That pic looks just like the forward cabin/head area of the Aqua Dives boat I spent 5 horrible days on. Lousy way to cross a channel, I know.

The nurse sharks followed you into a dark tunnel because they had been chumming them. I can see it happening in Belize.
angry-smiley-012.gif
Gotta' remember that we go there for adventure, not tourism.

Yeah blood is green at any depth. Was this at the Blue Hole? :lol2: I bet that call for a shark bite follow-up will get the office's attention. I suppose DAN will cover anything your primary carrier won't, as it is a diving accident.

Glad the trip worked out...

wow, good eye, it was indeed an Aqua Dives boat.

the shark incident was at Cypress Tunnels so real close to home base at least.

zahner:
wow, good eye, it was indeed an Aqua Dives boat.
Worst boat & Op I've ever been out on.
angry-smiley-031.gif
Unless they've upgraded, and that'd be a big surprise.

DandyDon:
I got to ask...?.

What DD said, and more.

Is that what it is that you have to do to get bitten by a Nerf Shark? The most timid of creatures. Make sure you see the Bull Sharks next time. Buddy up with the guys with the porkchops.

I guess none of us will ever do that again.

Sounds like the Nekton did o.k., though.

RoatanMan:
What DD said, and more.

Just what is it that you have to do to get bitten by a Nerf Shark?

MamaMia.
He posted that answer...
freak accident really, everyone we tell says "but nurse sharks don't bite!". we had been playing around with the sharks for a while. we then went through a dark tunnel. the sharks followed us into the tunnel. my wife got cold so she had her arms crossed with just her fingers sticking out on the sides. a shark took a bite at her right hand, probably mistaking her fingers for sardines that divers usually feed them. i've included a picture i took as i was exiting the tunnel before she showed me her hand. wasn't sure what the green stuff she was showing me in her hand was blood until she made "shark" and "bite" hand signals. def going to see doctor on Monday. quite easy to get an appt when you say you have been bitten by a shark.

Oh, thanks :fork:, I didn't see this part:

we had been playing around with the sharks for a while.

Thanks.

Well, not long ago I posted this info on the thread "Dive Shop help for San Pedro, Belize". I was pretty sure their boats were really not very seaworthy...

Ayisha:
...the Aqua Dives boat was REALLY inadequate for the open sea. On the long excursions to Turneffe and the Blue Hole, the ride was extremely rough and nearly unbearable. We were crashing down hard in the waves, tanks were flying out from their ridiculous plastic-armed holders, so they put the tanks under the seats. A couple of people had bruises from tanks flying out from under the seats. Some part of the boat fell off near the top of the boat, and they reattached it. The seats were hard benches, so we grabbed life jackets to sit on - made it a little better. The boat we took to Turneffe (2 hours each way) did not even have a head on it. For the close local dives, though, the boat was fine.

So does this mean one of the boats has been retired now? Hopefully?

Ayisha, that describes our Turneffe trip w/ Aqua Dives exactly down to tanks falling out of their holders and sitting on the life jackets. That boat is in need of some serious repair, but I bet they patch it up and put it right back out there.

we did Blue Hole w/ Amigos Del Mar and it was a world of difference.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom