Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kate Rister

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I only have time for 2 more dive trips this year, after the dive trip I will be taking to Roatan next month. I am looking to dive the end of July, and possibly the middle of June OR mid-Oct to early November.

I have considered West Palm Beach because of their shark diving, walls and wrecks. However, is the diving there as good as described? Would I be impressed having already dove places like Cozumel, Roatan, Belize? As an amateur photographer, it just sounds like West Palm Beach would give me a big variety of subjects, but I am having a hard time finding information on if the reef is in decent condition and how the fish life is when the big guys don't show up.

I have also considered a Turks and Caicos liveaboard with Aggressor as well as staying on Little Cayman. My concern here is, are they THAT much better than Cozumel to justify the cost difference? Or would I be better off just visiting Cozumel, and spending a day with the whale sharks while I'm there?

Lastly, I have considered going to Cabo and La Paz in Oct/Nov.

Thoughts and suggestions for which two combinations will give me the most impressive and varied photographs?

West Palm is not for reef diving compared to the other locations. Although, we do have some very beautiful reefs which are mainly soft corals and are full of tropical fish. But, the reefs probably not stack up to Cayman or Turks.

West Palm is for big animals. In late July, you will be at the peak of turtle season and can expect a good number of close passes with them as they are usually not shy.

Even better, this is also the time the Goliath Grouper mating aggregation begins on some of the deeper wrecks (90-120'). You can get days with 30-70 500 lb fish piled up on these wrecks and they often allow very close approach as well, This is one of the best "big animal" dives anywhere, and late July to Mid September is the best time. There is no other place on the planet where you can have this particular encounter.

This is, also, the time of year when there are relatively fewer sharks. We have a big lemon shark migration in the winter. There will be a few residents around in the summer, and the usual cast of occasional reef, bull, and nurse sharks, so sightings are not uncommon even in July.

The "shark dives" are two types. First, hand feeds and spearfishing trips that are intended to trigger active feeding by sharks. I wouild never recommend those as they are conducted in a very dangerous fashion. Second, regular dive trips that go to areas where sharks are known to frequent and you see them with natural behavior. Lots of operators do these.

Finally, you have what is the best tropical macro dive site in the U.S. at Blue Heron Bridge--a shallow and very long bottom time dive where you can see critters that many people fly to Indonesia to see.

A week in West Palm would probably cost a lot less than the other options as well, if that is a consideration for you.

I dove in west palm last Sunday. We saw one shark in two dives. Biggest nurse shark I ever saw, but still just a nurse shark. I think slightly north (Jupiter, FL) is better known for sharks. The reefs in the west palm area are nothing to write home about given your dive history.

Funny thing, we went to West Palm Beach last month in hopes of seeing sharks, and all three days the dives were cancelled due to bad weather :-\

I figured the reef wouldn't be anything to write home about, but thought the "big stuff" would make up for it and give me something else to shoot besides the typical Caribbean life. Am I right in assuming that, despite the reefs, there is plenty to photograph on the typical dive in West Palm Beach or Jupiter?

In terms of comparing Cayman/Turks to Cozumel, does anyone have experience here on if it is worth the extra cost? Or any experience in Cabo/La Paz?

If you can get out (yes, winter can be very iffy) there are lots of big animals to see. I have gotten out twice since January 1. On each dive trip, out of Jupiter, I saw at least 8 sharks and at least 5 turtles, along with assorted morays, big stingrays, etc. Diving has been great, but erratic getting out due to the weather.

Jupiter, in general, is a better shot for sharks. Turtles are all around in both West Palm and Jupiter. Similarly, both areas have good sites for goliaths.

The best reefs, actually,are a little farther south (only a 20 min drive) out of Boynton Inlet. Really beautiful shallow reefs (40') and one of the most beautiful forests of soft corals I have seen almost anywhere at Lynne's Reef.in about 60-80 feet. Also, the best wreck in the entire area, the Castor, can be reached from Boynton. Full of beautiful orange cup corals and always some goliaths around even outside of the aggregation season. In August and Sept, when you are thinking about coming, the Castor can be insane with Goliaths.

Regardless of what is going on now, the time you are planning to come (if you can push to August) is absolutely the best time to dive around here for turtle and goliath action..

If you want a lot of shark activity, you should consider NC. Really cool wrecks, such as the SPAR, have tons of Sand Tigers and easy penetration.

La Paz and Cabo or even Hawaii would give you an entirely new ecosystem to photograph rather than the usual suspects in Carib,

I have been to Cozumel and Little Cayman. Imho Little Cayman totally blows Cozumel out of the water. I can think of nothing that was better at Cozumel except for the price. When we were in Cozumel they did have a lot of current and as a photographer this was not a good thing, the vis was not good at all and the sea life was lacking. Now some of this was our fault... we chose a very very poor dive boat (we had to go back to the dock because they forgot the dive master). Little Cayman does not have lot of big stuff if that is your interest but if you want great vis, healthy growing corals, incredible walls and great dive boats you should give them a try.

Hi Kate,

For your summer trip, you really can't go wrong with the West Palm Beach area, Little Cayman, or Turks & Caicos. In my opinion, they are complimentary to one another and all deserve a visit. Cozumel is another great dive destination, complementary, not competitive. After exploring Florida for a dozen years, I bought a townhouse in Hypoluxo, just North of Boynton Beach, 4 1/2 years ago and have a little over 550 dives, mostly in Boynton Beach and Jupiter. I've been to Little Cayman twice and to T&C once.

The weather and seas in SE Florida are most consistent and conducive to diving during the summer months, winter can be quite difficult, as this year has been. I've done a little better this year than Guy Harrison, got in 18 dives during a 10 day visit the 2nd week of January during a rare lull in the conditions. Guy made several other good points in his posts, above. Winter is Lemon Shark aggregation, I'll be there in a week to, hopefully, catch some of it this year. The end of summer, August and September is Goliath Grouper aggregation. In my opinion, the wreck of the Castor in Boynton Beach is the best site to catch this incredible phenomenon. I think the reefs of Boynton Beach are the best in SE FL, you can do drifts on the inside, West facing side at 50-60 feet or drift the outside, East facing side where it is a bit deeper and more wild. Besides Lemon Shark aggregation, Jupiter is more predictable for shark encounters all year. Reef Shark, occasional Bull Shark encounters are likely anytime. I do not partake of the shark feeding dives so will let others describe those to you. The dives here are deeper than in Boynton Beach. As mentioned the Blue Heron Bridge is fantastic, I often dive there or go out of West Palm when the conditions to not allow me to get out of Boynton Beach or Jupiter.

The diving in Little Cayman is gorgeous and the visibility stellar. I've not encountered nicer walls than those in Little Cayman. The tropical fish life is good, but I find it denser in Boynton Beach. There are occasional shark and turtle encounters.

My son and I did T&C as land based. The trips out to West Caicos and French Cay are pretty far and the best you can do is 2-3 dives per day. A liveaboard is really the way to go here to get in 4-5 dives per day. We saw Reef Sharks on nearly every dive, many close and prolonged encounters. Some of the walls are as beautiful as the North Wall in Grand Cayman

You really can't go wrong, enjoy your summer trip. So many great places, so little time. Feel free to PM me with questions.

Good diving, Craig

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom