Cannibalize a Suunto console!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Selchie in LB

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I tried searching for any threads on taking apart a Suunto 3 gauge console without much luck. I apologize if there is one already.

Here is my question: I have taken apart the console to remove the Zoop computer so I can wrist mount it. I don't need the SPG because I got another one. The compass seems to be encased such that it can't be removed. Has anyone tried to or successfully removed the compass for wrist mount? The compass is great. I've seen reviews of cheap ones that can be unreliable.

I was thinking of offering to trade the console for an Aladdin 2G, but then I am left without a compass. I don't really need anything more in terms of computer right now. Most of my diving is air and the Zoop has the capability for nitrox. Also, I have the data cable and can review my dive profiles.

Any thoughts other than breaking the plastic encasing?

Very hot water may soften the plastic enough to work the compass out. If not I have a water jet at work that will cut 6 inches of stainless steel. Send me the compass. I'll get it out of there for you!

Hahahahaha thanks Jim!:cool:

When I had a 3 gauge Suunto console, the compass came right out and I now have it in a wrist boot. I have heard of some of the suunto compass are glued, and if you try to remove them, the plastic casing cracks and oil leaks out.

You can try to soften it like Jim said, but remember, you can break it. Good Luck with removing it.

It is possible, as Jim said, very hot water to sofen the plastic. And a lot of finesse. I did this a few years ago. If I remember correctly I had to pop the bezel out first. And then work on the compass. The compass was held in place by the tightness of the boot and an index notch on the bottom of the compass and the inside of the boot. The gentle use of a this screw driver might be nessicary. Then I put mine in a DSS wrist boot.

Disclamer: I don't think the sunnto compass was deigned to be removed by the end user. Maybe you local dive shop would be willing to trade in your old one.
Ps. don't yell at me if you break it. Good luck

---------- Post added ----------

Also, I searched the words compass removal, in this section of the forum and got a few treads where this was discussed.

Thanks for your suggestions everyone. Turns out another SB member contacted me and we worked out a deal. He wanted the console sans computer. I will be getting a wrist compass and wrist boot for the Zoop. Yeah! I love SB!

Dammit, I'm too slow, was going to ask if you wanted to sell the Zoop console mount. If anyone else has one around they don't need let me know.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom