Cancun vs Cozumel Flight

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aggiebq86

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am currently researching flights and I'm finding a $230/person price difference between flying into Cancun and Cozumel. At what point does it become cost effective to make this flight?

I am currently researching flights and I'm finding a $230/person price difference between flying into Cancun and Cozumel. At what point does it become cost effective to make this flight?
The trek from CUN to CZM is not that expensive. It's really a matter of your priorities; everyone has a different threshold and it's not just about the money. Flying into Cancun will add two or three hours each way to your travel plans and make it a bit more stressful to get to your departing flight on time. Also, you'll have to deal with your baggage a lot more en route; if you travel with a lot of equipaje, it can be a PITA. For me personally, $460 for me and my wife would put me close to the threshold. Maybe over it.

$460 would pay for diving for a week.

YMMV

(My wife doesn't dive)

How much is two hours worth to you? That is the basic time from the CUN airport to the CZM pier. $230 after tax is about $300+ in wages, to me (several days of diving and living expenses). If I were to hit CUN prior to 5 PM which allows for customs and a no rush bag drag and still be able to grab dinner in CZM AND dive in the morning, I would go for CUN. The expense of the drag is about $25 PP. If the flight into CUN arrived after 7PM and I couldn't make CZM until morning I might go for the direct flight so I didn't miss the AM dive. What the airlines sell is transportation, but the pricing is for time to your desired destination, what is your value on that time?

---------- Post added April 20th, 2015 at 06:22 PM ----------

$460 would pay for diving for a week.
Well about four days /16 bottles or 18 hours of bottom time.

Did it today, CZM ferry to PDC and private taxi cost me $60 to CUN, then on to Houston. 9:30 am to 6 PM door to door. Hated it as the Cancun airport is a freakin zoo. Normally I would promote it but I am getting older and tired of the hassle. But for $460, or flying from the west coast CUN is still a good choice.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

PS The ferry will be $60 round trip for 2, then the snail pace bus will be about $50 and cost you an extra hour both directions. As a fellow Texan, I'd say go direct!

Last edited:
For us, it is faster to use Cancun. I can get a non-stop flight for cheap to Cancun. Of course I guess that doesn't apply to you coming outta Houston. For us Coz is always 2 legs about 5.5 hours of plane time plus any layover. Non-stop is a little over 3.

I use my van guy and the ferry down and Mayair back. Mayair can be a good option if you aren't overweight in baggage.

Van guy stops for beer, if there is time before the next ferry. Miss the next ferry, kill an hour at Senior Frogs looking at the water. That counts as vakay.

In my previous post I did state the one way costs....probably a mistake given the airfare you mentioned was surely round trip. But, the amounts were accurate.

The newest ferry is $10 one way or $20 round trip. The other two companies are $24 round trip. This is per person.

The bus was just a bit over 144 pesos one way or 288 round trip per person. That is about $24 round trip per person. We have done this by van in the past and, frankly, we found the bus to be as comfortable, if not more, and it didnt take all that much longer as far as we could tell. Traffic us usually such that everyone goes about the same speed it seems.

So, with the exchange rate being what it has been of late, that is roiughly between $88 and $96 round trip. If you use the "Mexican truck" to take your luggage from the bus station to the ferry and back, you can add a few more bucks.

As I said before, it is an easy decision for us, but then we are retired and generally stay for several weeks when we go.

For me getting a direct flight into COZ and saving 2-3 hours of travel time is worth about $300 per person. That's the cutoff where I might consider CUN. If I wasn't getting a direct flight to Coz I might think differently. And if I was younger I might not mind the extra time and dragging the bags along. But at my age I prefer less hassle with the Coz airport and less travel time and will pay a little more for it. Saving 3 hours means I get to jump in the water at Blue Angel on the same afternoon as I arrive for a nice little shore dive and checking out my gear at a nice relaxed pace.

, we found the bus to be as comfortable, if not more, and it didnt take all that much longer as far as we could tell. Traffic us usually such that everyone goes about the same speed it seems.

Ha! You don't know my van guy. I remember last time saying, we are never gonna make the next ferry and he said, 'you want to make it?' Buckle up and go. We passed everyone and we made it.

Back
Top Bottom