Cancun Dive ops, etc

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Soggy:
Does this mean I can schlep my gear and get from Solaris to the dive shop and make it to the boat on time?

I also wouldn't call myself an inexperienced diver, so I'm not looking for a lot of babysitting (i.e. if they try to set my gear up for me and they might lose some fingers :wink: ). Are there any shops in the area that aren't going to limit your bottom time to 30 minutes and/or will let ou dive without a DM to babysit you?

I'm still leaning toward Playa Del Carmen, but there are some deals that will allow us to stay in paradise for an extra day if we go to the Solaris in Cancun. Too many decisions to make!!!

You should find it quite easy to get to the dive shops using public transport.
I found that the dives were generally limited to 35 -40 minutes. I would suggest emailing Scuba Cancun, Manta and Solo Buceo (is that the name) and asking them for their respective policies.

When I get on board i just tell the deck boys that I'll be setting up my own gear. I've never had a problem other than them wanting to check out my plate/wing. In fact I finally just traded with one DM who so obviously wanted to dive the darned thing I couldn't resist offering it to him.

JohnF

ggunn:
Why? You maybe should consider a) going there at a different time, or b) going to Cozumel instead, or c) all the above.

because i have school off thast week istn there a ferry you can take over to cozumel?

I just booked 9 days and 8 nights in Cancun with my girlfriend at the Royal Solaris Caribe.

I'm planning on doing a few dives in the area, probably drive down to Coz for a day, hit a Cenote, maybe dive Cancun one day...also intend to do some snorkeling. Mostly, it will be drinking, sunning, and swimming for me, though!

Be sure to make reservations at both the formal restaurants as they were quite good when we were there. There are lots of dive ops in Cancun but Aquaworld has the best setup. Let them know your requirements up front and they may be able to help. Keep in mind that Cancun is mainly a party town and the DMs have to be extra helpful. I never found them to be intrusive and they did gladly let me set up my own equipment. Have fun and be sure to report back.

Mobius1:
because i have school off thast week istn there a ferry you can take over to cozumel?

Not directly from Cancun. You have to go overland south to Playa del Carmen and catch the Coz ferry there. If things go smoothly, it's 2-3 hours each way from the Cancun airport. It takes longer if you go from Cancun itself, which is a ways north of the airport. It's not an easy day trip.

If diving is the real reason you are going down there, and you really do want to escape the drunken student horde, then don't go to Cancun over spring break. If you've already booked a flight during that time to CUN, you can get to CZM from the CUN airport. Catch a bus, or hire a van or cab to PdC and catch the ferry to Coz.

If what you really want is to party hearty and dive a little, then Cancun will be fine for you.

I went last year at the end of April and spring break was over by then. I used Solo Buceo (Only Diving) and had a great time. I stayed at the Royal Sands Resort and a cab ride to the shop was only 3$ US plus 2 $ tip. IMHO I would not bother to rent a car.

I plan to go back and dive with Solo Buceo around April 25th and they said they would also setup a trip to COZ, night dives, wreck dives and/or a cenote dive.

The trip to Playa is kinda long but not bad and the ferry ride to COZ was easy. This is an all day event but worth it.

Good luck

Soggy:
I know...I've been posting in this forum a lot, but am still deciding where in Mexico I'm going. Too many deals on the Internet!

This question is about Cancun...

How is the diving? What op should I use? Considering staying at the Royal Solaris Caribe. Do the dive ops pick you up at all or are you stuck having to rent a car and drive to the diving?

I just got back from Cancun. I stayed at the Royal Solaris Caribe Hotel which was pretty good. The public transpotation is reliable and costs $6.00 Mex ~ about $0.60 US each way. Aquaworld has a booth at the hotel so, that's who I went with. It was a good trip out to the reef - got to see a nurse shark and a black tip as well as lots of barracuda. It was a 2 tank dive in about 50' and cost $60.00 US plus $2.00 for diving in a state park.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom