Cancun Dive ops, etc

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Soggy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I know...I've been posting in this forum a lot, but am still deciding where in Mexico I'm going. Too many deals on the Internet!

This question is about Cancun...

How is the diving? What op should I use? Considering staying at the Royal Solaris Caribe. Do the dive ops pick you up at all or are you stuck having to rent a car and drive to the diving?

Soggy:
This question is about Cancun...

How is the diving?

The diving is fine. Not overly deep and usually involving a drift. The most popular reefs are at the NE tip of the beach and typically run 55-65' max. Just SE of the reef area are two minesweepers sunk a couple of years ago as artificial reefs. They make nice dives. I have pics of one of the ships if you're interested.

The wild life is smaller than you'll see off SE Fla but it's abundant. The coral is pretty. I always see sharks, albeit of the Nurse variety, but there are rumours of Bullsharks in the neighbourhood. Lotsa Southern Stingrays, Barracuda, Grouper and schooling shiny critters. The odd turtle but not abundant. I actually saw a Whaleshark there, but unfortunately was not in the water at the time.

What op should I use?

That's a tough one if you're down at the bottom end of the beach near the airport. I believe there's one op down that way but I can't find anything about them at the moment. Aquaworld runs a huge operation and has a large marina a couple of miles above the Solaris Whatsit Hotel. I often dive with them just because it's convenient for me and I've gotten to know some of the DM's. It's a cattleboat deal and attracts lots of occasional (read poor) divers but everybody has fun. The dives are limited by the typical clientel to 35-40 minutes and out. SI's are close to being rushed but seem to suit my computer. The boats are large (Newtons I believe) but make for a nice stable spacious platform. I used to like Blue Peace but they seem to have disappeared. Their business seems to be referred to Manta Divers and I don't know anything about them except that they're way up around the point in the same area as Scuba Cancun.

I've never dived with SC but I checked out their shop (very unprepossessing) and talked to one of the owners briefly. I was impressed with her professed concern for diver safety and by all accounts from divers who've used them, they practice what they preach about safe diving practices.

Considering staying at the Royal Solaris Caribe.
Do the dive ops pick you up at all or are you stuck having to rent a car and drive to the diving?

As I said, you're kinda off the beaten path there, but the beach is nice and you're very close to the airport, and I don't know of any ops who offer a pickup service.

Fortunately Cancun has an excellent public transit system which you can ride all up and down the Hotel Zone road for 6 pesos (I think) one way. Cabs are also readily available and quite reasonable and getting around is simple as there's only one road so you can't get lost. The cabbies are in my experience always happy types who drive like a bat outa hell. I believe there's some law that says they must remove all suspension from cabs as they don't really bounce, they just clunk.

For a little more money you can arrange for a Suburban ride. Other than getting to the hotel from the airport we don't bother with these. I've seen some great car rental prices offered but I'm not familiar with the insurance and reliability issues involved.

If you want more PM me, or ask here.

JohnF

When are you travelling to Cancun? We go late April/early May and again late October/early November every year. If you want to PM me I can give you more about sites and ops.

teamheatwave:
When are you travelling to Cancun? We go late April/early May and again late October/early November every year. If you want to PM me I can give you more about sites and ops.

I will be there from April 10th through the 18th.

My main concern is getting me and my gear from the Royal Solaris Caribe hotel to the dive boat without renting a car. I'd probably do three 2-tank dives or so.

What are the temps and vis like in April?

Soggy:
Also, how is swimming at the beach at this hotel? Is the water calm or rough, good vis?

Are there many snorkeling opportunities either with ops or from the beach?

I go in January each year and it's typically very windy and wavey so the beach is only good for admiring topless sunbathers. Perhaps someone who goes in April can tell you what to expect waterwise.

There is some snorkeling just south of you at Punta Nizuc but unless you're ready for a long swim you'll want to go by tour boat or by Waverunners or the very small powerboats which several ops use to run snorkeling tours to the reef. Otherwise the best snorkeling is over at Isla Mujeres.

JohnF

My wife and I stayed at the Solaris and they did not even have a dock. The water can get rough in that area. The northern part of the Hotel Zone tends to be much calmer and easily swimmable in most locations.

The good news is that the bus service is quite good. If you are relatively inexperienced divers Aqua World runs a tight ship which is appropriate for beginners and a lot of fun. We did our first dives after certification with them.You will probably have to schlep your gear every day.

We loved the Solaris.

Mobius1:
ick im going there for a dive trip on...... spring break.... lets hope i dont drown in the sea of drunk college kids.

Why? You maybe should consider a) going there at a different time, or b) going to Cozumel instead, or c) all the above.

Brian Gilpin:
The good news is that the bus service is quite good. If you are relatively inexperienced divers Aqua World runs a tight ship which is appropriate for beginners and a lot of fun. We did our first dives after certification with them.You will probably have to schlep your gear every day.

Does this mean I can schlep my gear and get from Solaris to the dive shop and make it to the boat on time?

I also wouldn't call myself an inexperienced diver, so I'm not looking for a lot of babysitting (i.e. if they try to set my gear up for me and they might lose some fingers :wink: ). Are there any shops in the area that aren't going to limit your bottom time to 30 minutes and/or will let ou dive without a DM to babysit you?

I'm still leaning toward Playa Del Carmen, but there are some deals that will allow us to stay in paradise for an extra day if we go to the Solaris in Cancun. Too many decisions to make!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom