Cancun/Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tigerman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Ok, so Im planning a trip to some hotter parts of the world than what its been here in Norway this summer. Ive gotten a few good suggestions, most of the expected. Ive also been thinking about Mexico, much because of the whalesharks at Holbox and am currently looking a bit closer on the particulars. This trip is obviously gonna cost me a fair bit of money, for a start because of the rather long trip it involves.
At the moment im looking into Cancun and Manta Divers and I was wondering if anyone had any experience with them? Are they a good op, are their prices and service up to par compared to other possible ops in the area and any other input would be much appreciated, so thanks a lot in advance for any input I can get here.

Manta has a good reputation. I would recommend www.mayanaquadive.com. They do their whale shark trips to Isla Contoy rather than Holbox. Ben runs a great operation and runs less divers than most of the shops.

Ben can be contacted at benrmooney@yahoo.co.uk. I'm diving with him the end of the month. I'll post how the whale shark trip goes.

Good luck with all your diving trips!

I've just returned from two weeks in Cancun. I had intended to dive with Ben at Mayan primarily as a result of the endorsements he received on this board but when I got there I could not find him, his website had disappeared and his telephone line was dead. There was some information about this on another post.

Thankfully I had taken Manta divers' details with me as a back up. I did their "Super Extreme" package where you get to try all of the types of diving available including wreck, Cancun reef, Cozumel, night and the best of all Cenote. The good thing about Manta is that they are a small outfit, but not a one man band, and when out of their way to accomodate my requests and had the resources to do it. I would use them again.

I did do a two tank Cenote with Scuba Caribe who were the dive op at the hotel I stayed at. I would have to say that Manta did a much better job in that the transportation was direct (which saved me two hours), the Dive master was better, gave a better briefing and even managed to arrange a proper lunch in PDC.

Hope that helps.

So basically we have mayan and manta which as far as i can find on this board is both great ops..
Guess that means all I have to do is make reservations as soon as possible and get my *** moving then :p

Tigerman, forget Cancun and dive Coz instead. Much more exciting dives.

TheRedHead:
And manta goes to cozumel as well, and its not more expencive for me to go to cancun than cozumel it seems.. havent found any ops in cozumel that does both coz, cancun and whalesharks?

Tigerman:
And manta goes to cozumel as well, and its not more expencive for me to go to cancun than cozumel it seems.. havent found any ops in cozumel that does both coz, cancun and whalesharks?

You mean cenotes? Otherwise, Cancun is a big disappointment. I would suggest Aldora Divers in Cozumel. Mateo is a cave instructor and he usually leads the cenote dives. Cancun is an awful tourist trap, much worse than Cozumel. If you stay at the Villa Aldora and dive with Aldora, you can avoid almost all the cruserios.

TheRedHead:
i respectfully disagree having done both (6 x Cozumel and 1 x Cancun). Cancun has some very good dive sites including a wreck that's much better than Coz's. it also has more fish life overall. the "reefscape" is admittedly more exciting in Coz. also, Coz is a much nicer place topside than Cancun.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom