Cancun/Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

docmartin:
i respectfully disagree having done both (6 x Cozumel and 1 x Cancun). Cancun has some very good dive sites including a wreck that's much better than Coz's. it also has more fish life overall. the "reefscape" is admittedly more exciting in Coz. also, Coz is a much nicer place topside than Cancun.

The "wreck" in Cozumel is a joke, of course. You've got the wild currents in Coz and the deep reefs of Palancar, Columbia, Punta Sur are breathtaking.

I love the Tortuga dive at PDC, but Cancun diving is ho-hum to me. Might as well dive Florida.

hey guys,
yes we had a unfortanate month as our location/hotel got closed down by the govt for federal taxes etc.... wrong place, wong time, for this reason we didnt have access to phone lines and we took our site down as we were in a transition.
you ll be able to find us now in km 4.5 in club international of the royal resorts, e mails all good and working and we re getting good feedback fom fellow scuba boarders!
whale sharks for sure have been the highlight of the season, manta sightings too, any info for diving or sharking adventures please feel free to get in touch, sb, yahoo or via the site, its all functional!
jack, i ll look forward to seeing you in a couple weeks, finally you old timer!, i ve got a cracking suprise for you, companionship pays off buddy, and martin, great to hear you ll coming in sept, may was just a little too early!
look forward to catching up

Good to see youre back up Ben, cause Ive wanted to ask you a few questions regarding the topic of this thread.
Ill very likely be coming to Mexico in week 33, since my other options seems to be hard to arrange within my timeframe and those huge spotty fish is also tipping the weights a lot here.. Could be because theire the biggest fish around :p

You can snorkel with whale sharks in Cozumel too.

TheRedHead:
You can snorkel with whale sharks in Cozumel too.
I bet you can, but the thing is that I need to make this decision rather quickly if I wanna go and I want to dive both cozumel and cancun as well as snorkel with the whalesharks. So far, Ive found two good reasons to use Cancun as my "home base" for this and thats MAD and Manta..
It will cost me very much the same to travel and stay at Cozumel and Cancun, so the difference in that part of this is not an argument.
I can relate to Cancun being much more a "tourist trap" and Cozumel being nicer topside, but I hope to spend as much time as possible on and in the water and hopefully not so much walking around in the streets. Ill leave it for some time when I have better time to explore Mexicos dry land I think.

If I found an op with as good info on diverse diving as MAD and Manta in Cozumel, I might change my opinion of course, but the ones ive found talks mostly or only about Cozumel diving, unfortunately.
The danger in all of this is of course that I might have a blast and decide to go back later and blow more wages on this kinda thing :p

Ah....don't listen to those Coz bigots....:D

I dive out of Cancun for several reasons. One is that I stay at the resorts there. Two, contrary to the Coz and PDC adventurers, the diving is good. I can do a whale shark trip, Holbox or Isla Contoy, cenotes and need only one trip to Coz for a couple of drift dives. Most people come from Coz for Holbox diving (whale sharks) and/or cenotes. So figure two trips back to the mainland. And three, I dive with the best op down there! If there was a better one, I would dive with them.

I'll make it over to Coz one of these years for a week. PDC is getting as built up as Cancun. If there is a foot of sand, they are putting a all inclusive on it. But that is where the good cenotes are located.

I've not seen any negative feed back on Mayan Aqua Dive and the people that have dove with them are all going to be repeat customers. They are not a one man op, Ben has a staff of six or seven, with a full cave instructor. One advantage to a small operation is that you don't go out with a head of divers. We were out last year diving on Manchones Reef, when Aquaworld dropped anchor by us and dropped about twenty divers off the boat. We beat feet and had a great dive.

Try it! You'll like it!

Tigerman:
If I found an op with as good info on diverse diving as MAD and Manta in Cozumel, I might change my opinion of course, but the ones ive found talks mostly or only about Cozumel diving, unfortunately.

That's because diving Cozumel rocks! There are over a hundred dive ops in Coz and about a dozen? in Cancun. What does that say about the diving?

Coz is for the adventurous souls who like it deep and fast. :D

ben@mayanaquadive:
jack, i ll look forward to seeing you in a couple weeks, finally you old timer!, i ve got a cracking suprise for you, companionship pays off buddy, and martin, great to hear you ll coming in sept, may was just a little too early!
look forward to catching up

Good to hear from ya, mate! I've had to lay off diving up here. I'm going in for an ultra-sound on my shoulder. I think I tore a rotor cuff in my shoulder. However, if I need an operation, it's not going to happen until I get my week of diving in warm water!! :eyebrow:

I'm trying to see if Frenchie is coming up from Belize. Also, another guy from SB is going to be down at the same time and we're both staying at the Royal Caribbean! It's going to be a great week. We still need to discuss the BBQ for location and backup.

Counting the days now, bud! Not going fast enough!

Spartman, Let me know what the beach looks like at the Royal Caribbean. We stayed there the last week of march and the rocks were all showing and the beach was less than 30 ft wide.

Jim breslin

Back
Top Bottom