Cancellation Policy Changes at Blue Angel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Slightly off topic, but I think there is going to be so much pent up travel demand if/when safe& effective vaccine is widely available that I am trying to look into locking in future travel now as long as I am comfortable that the provider will be around (or I am using air travel credits that can still be changed again.
About vaccines - something that appears to me that many people do not think about is that there are vaccines and then there are vaccines. With smallpox and polio the vaccines developed against them were silver bullets; once the vaccines were applied to the world's population the diseases were effectively eradicated.That was a very good thing, to be sure, but then there are the influenza vaccines, which are nowhere nearly as effective or long lasting. Even with the strains which are specifically targeted by the vaccines, lots of people who have been vaccinated still get the disease and what protection there is only lasts months.

I am not a healthcare professional, but it seems to me that since COVID-19 is much more like flu than it is like polio, a vaccine developed to combat it is more likely to be like flu vaccine than polio vaccine, i.e., not the silver bullet that many are assuming it will be.

So before they got your money they gave you their cancellation policy. The moment they got your money they changed it? That's terrible.

I'd immediately start working with paypal to get a refund and then book with another resort. Make sure you've got saved copies of the cancellation policy. If it's still up, take some screenshots and maybe submit the site to archive.org for backup. If working with paypal doesn't work, you maybe have to contact your bank and file a chargeback against paypal. Paypal has a mixed reputation when it comes to protecting their customers. "Real" banks seem to do far better at this.

There's plenty of resorts on Cozumel that won't try and screw you over by not adhering to their published policies. The fact that they want to use paypal (and charge a huge fee for the "privilege") is shifty in its-self. Changing policies due to changing circumstances is one thing, but they can't change the policy after both parties have already agreed to one and money has changed hands. If that was acceptable, there's no point in even having a published policy at all.

So before they got your money they gave you their cancellation policy. The moment they got your money they changed it? That's terrible.

You talking about BA or SCC? That's not what happened with BA. It sounded like it at first but OP clarified that he emailed about reservations and they replied with the new cancellation policy before he gave them any money. He crossed them off and never gave them any money. Not sure about P-dog and SCC or what their policy was at time he paid.

About vaccines - something that appears to me that many people do not think about is that there are vaccines and then there are vaccines. With smallpox and polio the vaccines developed against them were silver bullets; once the vaccines were applied to the world's population the diseases were effectively eradicated.That was a very good thing, to be sure, but then there are the influenza vaccines, which are nowhere nearly as effective or long lasting. Even with the strains which are specifically targeted by the vaccines, lots of people who have been vaccinated still get the disease and what protection there is only lasts months.

I am not a healthcare professional, but it seems to me that since COVID-19 is much more like flu than it is like polio, a vaccine developed to combat it is more likely to be like flu vaccine than polio vaccine, i.e., not the silver bullet that many are assuming it will be.

You are almost certainly correct that vaccine is not a silver bullet. However if a large portion of the population gets the vaccine while people are still practicing some level of social distancing (less than now, but some—I think nursing home mask wearing and hand washing/sanitizing is likely here to stay for example ) that can drive number global numbers down to very low levels since it will have a hard time replicating at scale.

Bottom like is a vaccine will probably not come close to guaranteeing a vaccinated individual will not get it , but if 4 or 5 billion people get the vaccine it will have a hard time surviving at scale That is way, way more then get the flu shot. Looks like around 45 percent of US adults get flu vaccine , probably similar ballpark in Europe. Found comment that China was only around 2-4 percent You are much more likely to get the places like China, India, Africa and Latin America to vaccinate against Covid than flu given the damage done from Covid in Latin America , India China. My guess is China will probably say you can either get the Covid vaccine or a bullet to the head at this point. From a national prestige standpoint they can’t risk being blamed for another wave of the pandemic. Africa may be the trickiest due to poor infrastructure

Wouldn’t surprise me if we have to go through a 2021 round (two shots ) and a 2022 round also. 2023 and beyond is anyone’s guess

Hey folks, I'm the original poster and this thread is about Blue Angel. I'm getting confused by some of the recent posts. If you have comments about vaccines and Scuba Club Cozumel and PayPal refunds, you may want to start a new thread.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Y'all be nice. If we want new posters to join our community, it is best to treat them as potential new friends. I have deleted a few recent posts to help in that effort.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Y'all be nice. If we want new posters to join our community, it is best to treat them as potential new friends. I have deleted a few recent posts to help in that effort.
Sorry if I offended a newbie; welcome aboard. Can I buy you a beer? :D

You talking about BA or SCC? That's not what happened with BA. It sounded like it at first but OP clarified that he emailed about reservations and they replied with the new cancellation policy before he gave them any money. He crossed them off and never gave them any money. Not sure about P-dog and SCC or what their policy was at time he paid.
I was talking about Blue Angel. I'm not sure what/who scc is.
I was basing my statement off this:
They want a 40% deposit plus a 4% Paypal fee, with the remaining balance to be paid on site at arrival. After getting the booking process going, they changed the policy to:
"The deposit for your current reservation is not refundable under any circumstances, but transferable dates up to two years (until 2022) from original reservation date, subject to restrictions with change with no previous notice. For further information contact us to help you."
I guess it's too bad the original post hasn't been updated if it is inaccurate.

In any event, good to hear that Blue Angel isn't screwing people as the OP made it sound.

Edit: I just re-read the whole thread. I don't see a post where @living4experiences changed his statement. Looks like folks got off topic talking about other resorts/dive operations/airlines in this thread. Either @living4experiences changed their statement in one of the posts that got deleted by a mod or you are mistaken and they really did get screwed over by blue angel. If he did get screwed over as the OP makes it sound, then it's important to have the information about it out there so that other people don't put down a deposit with BA under false pretenses.

The post is still there, on Sept 12.

"Fortunately, I read the web site policy and then their booking e-mail before I paid a deposit, so I have lost no money. These days, I'm getting all the terms and conditions clarified before I book."

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom